Author Topic: Safe depth for drill/tap on 12 ga, 20 ga barrels?  (Read 703 times)

Offline jkpq45

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Safe depth for drill/tap on 12 ga, 20 ga barrels?
« on: December 17, 2012, 02:17:58 PM »
Hello All,

Looked through the FAQs and couldn't find any info--leaning towards using the Loctite 380 BlackMax vs. drilling and tapping for a scope, but would like the added strength of screws.

Any opinions on max safe screw depth on the 12 gauge and 20 gauge barrels?

Thanks,
jkpq45

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Safe depth for drill/tap on 12 ga, 20 ga barrels?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 04:45:50 AM »
Screw diameter deep on a 20ga is fine, ify on a 12ga, most gunsmiths won't D&T a 12ga for that reason. H&R solders steel bases on their 12ga barrels (except USH).

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jkpq45

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 05:33:15 AM »
Thanks for the input, quick.  Kinda what I figured.

Offline jkpq45

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 05:34:11 AM »
As an aside, am I going to booger up my 12 ga chamber if I heat it to ~400° F to get the steel base soldered on?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 05:49:13 AM »
I've not done it, but I'd say no, lots of sxs barrels are soldered together, read about em when I was learning how to blue a barrel.  I've soldered forend lugs on with no problem tho, it didn't affect the blueing, I use low temp(450º) high strength silver solder I bought on ebay, see soldering shims in the FAQs barrel fitting info. Epoxy has been used too, good surface prep is imperative tho, I think I'd D&T one hole for a recoil lug, I used one blind hole on my M1908 peep sight along with Black Max Loctite.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 05:38:17 AM »
Gunsmiths wont D/T  12ga. due to the dreaded liability. Point of fact is there are a bunch of rifles that have had scope mount holes accidentally drilled through and a lot of them people dont know about. A properly snug fitting screw (When using a taper tap one should 'stay in the taper' rather than just running all the way up onto the major tap dia. right away and check the screw fit as you carefully go deeper in). with a full to chamber flat end when tightened down wont blow out.
As to depth other than a through hole: If you calc. the wall thickness and only drill in 2/3s deep it may give you a full screw diameter, which, as said, is sufficient. I tend to like a bit more, if I can get it and not exceed the 2/3s. It gives a little more depth for going from a plug tap (a taper tap likely wont even start a thread) to a bottoming tap as well as that thread engagement.
BTW, with a Dremel and cutoff wheel you can make a taper tap into a plug tap into a bottoming tap. I use a magnifier too. I greatly suggest using at least a well set up drill press as a straight guide with the tap handle head centered by a chuck mounted center. Bench vise/hand drill and hand turned D/T is for mechanics, not gunsmithing.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974