Author Topic: Two more shotgun questions.  (Read 775 times)

Offline sitdwnandhngon

• Trade Count: (0)
Two more shotgun questions.
« on: December 09, 2012, 11:24:16 AM »
Just two more inquires, then I promise I'll go away.  ;D

The first is about a 12 gauge adapter. I ordered a gaugemate 12 gauge adapter for my 10 gauge and got to try it out today. The ejector wouldn't push out the adapter after firing, if I do the ejector to extractor mod would it help, or is it not a true extractor with that done. The adapter isn't exactly ideal, but I got it so I could practice with it on the trap range and not have to spend 30 bucks a box.

The next issue, is when I was shooting with the adapter in I had a few shots that the action opened on. I haven't had that happen with a 10 gauge shell, it seems to lockup just as tight but I'm not sure if I should double check the latch, maybe update the spring.

I am gonna take it apart and give everything a good look right directly. I'll report back later.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Two more shotgun questions.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 11:34:50 AM »
Sounds like the adapter isn't allowing the action to close completely causing shallow latch engagement, insufficient engagement will cause pop-opens. You may have to modify the adapter "rim" so it seats deeper in the chamber rim cut. It may also just be too big for the chamber and the body of the adapter needs to be slightly smaller, you can check by covering it with ink from a black marker, or even smoking it with a candle, then chamber and remove it, any marking that's been removed shows where it may be too big for the chamber and is binding.

The ejector to extractor modification that you can do by modifying the ejector only keeps it from ejecting, it won't increase the ejector's capability to remove a hull or in this case, the adapter, it's still spring powered. A factory extractor is mechanical, doesn't rely on a spring and is much stronger. You might try the ejector tune(FAQs) to increase spring tension.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline sitdwnandhngon

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 11:56:59 AM »
I had that notion as well and just got done measuring some stuff. The rim thickness on a hull is about 1.5mm because of the way the adapter is beveled it ends up with a rim thickness of about 1.8mm.

I think it is sticking out just too far like you said. I might be able to mod the adapter a little to sit a little deeper. Time to break out the dremel.

Ill probably just do the spring mod to the ejector if I can figure the adapter thing out. I don't want to mod the gun at all to get a 30 dollar adapter working right.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 12:43:03 PM »
Use a file for adjusting the "rim" of the adapter, doesn't take much, IMO the dremel is too aggressive to use sparingly.  ;) I used a triangular file with one smooth flat to adjust the rim on the 22 Hornet adapter that Larry made me, worked fine.  8)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 08:52:38 AM »

And by the way, don't go away after you get your problem fixed. Stay around and share your experiences.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 10:46:02 AM »
You might try polishing up the chamber, a BB under the ejector spring and if that doesnt cure it try polishing the outside dia. of the adapter a bit.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline sitdwnandhngon

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 11:27:13 AM »

And by the way, don't go away after you get your problem fixed. Stay around and share your experiences.

I haven't had a chance to mess with it any more. After trapping season is over I will have some down time to play around with it and hopeful get it back to the trap field for testing.

I did clean up the shelf a touch with a whetstone, and then cleaned both the shelf and the latch with solvent, they had a little oil on them.

The ejector seems to be pushing it out ok for the first few shots, once things start to heat up is when there is a problem. Really I am not too concerned as I just bought it as a backup for shooting with friends and to toss in to my box of "handy things to have when the world ends"