Author Topic: 45-70 Lever evolution brass?  (Read 596 times)

Offline BrowninG77

• Trade Count: (0)
45-70 Lever evolution brass?
« on: December 15, 2012, 03:23:09 AM »
I have always shot the factory Hornady Lever evolutions & always saved my brass with the hopes of one day getting them reloaded. A friend has gotten into reloading & is peaking my interest in it as well.He doesn't have the dies so I'm going to pick some up soon & let him guide me thru the process after I get all supplies rounded up.Here's the ?. Will the spent brass I have accumulated work, as I remember reading somewhere on gb that this  lever evolution brass is too short? Thx in advance for input.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: 45-70 Lever evolution brass?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 03:54:51 AM »
In short , ya they'll work , however there are a couple things you need to know when working with the Hornady brass . First is that with them being shorter the case capacity will be slightly reduced if you seat a bullet with a crimp groove down to the groove , so the powder charge must be adjusted accordingly , and second is that most seater / crimp dies will not crimp on the shorter case's so something like the Lee FC ( factory crimp ) die is needed if you want to crimp these rounds .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline BrowninG77

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 02:47:53 AM »
Thanks a bunch Stimpy!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 02:55:58 AM »
IMHO,
 It might be worth saving if your gonna load FTX bullets... otherwise trade it to someone who will do that. If not, its scrap to me..

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 09:42:45 AM »
I've loaded quite a few of those cases. RCBS seat/crimp dies won't work, neither will the Lee FCD. However, both of theses dies can be shortened to work, or you can buy the Hornady seat crimp die.
As far as powder charges go, you'll have to begin at the starting load and work up just like any other round. If you're loading at or near Trapdoor pressures it's not a big deal, depending on your particular firearm. My load is 30 gr AA5744 behind a 405 gr cast bullet. This gives me velocities in the low 1400's, according to the folks at Accurate.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline BrowninG77

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 09:32:05 AM »
Thanks for the input guys. I'll be shooting a handy so no need to crimp & will more than likely also use ftx bullets. Thx again!

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 12:38:37 PM »
Another Handi shooter, awesome!
You still may have to use a crimp, it depends on the powder. Good luck with your reloading.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 03:29:45 PM »
Although it takes a little more work, the RCBS dies will crimp the Leverevolution brass.  The proceedure is as follows:

1.  Seat the bullet to the about the top edge of the cannelure (seating die should be adjusted to
     contact the shellholder)
2.  Back the seating stem out a few turns
3.  Slide the round into the seating crimp die so it is on top of the shell holder in lieu of inserted
     into it
4.  Place a shim between the shell holder and case head and raise the ram to full height to
     complete the crimp.  For shims I use feeler gauges from .020 -.035 depending on the amount
     of crimp I desire

Ken

NRA Life Member

Offline BrowninG77

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 03:06:35 AM »
Thanks for the head's up on the crimping for compressed powders and for the tip with the shimming.  :)