Author Topic: 20 gauge slugs  (Read 670 times)

Offline hoghunter2

• Trade Count: (0)
20 gauge slugs
« on: February 12, 2004, 12:40:51 PM »
What type of performance have you all gotten out Remington rifled slugs. I have gotten better than 6 inch groups with mine out af a smoothbore barrel with mod choke.  I have heard the 20 gauge slugs have similar ballistics to the 45-70 round. Would like to no more info about that. Has anyone tried to shoot them and 150 yards before.  :D  

Thanks

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
20 gauge slugs
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 01:32:55 PM »
I have a project gun that I have been working on for a year now.  Its a Mossberg 20 ga. that i cut down to get rid of the choke . It was a 28" barrel I cut it down and had it re-crowned, by a gunsmith.  But what your asking about 150 yrds ???  I don't think you can get that kinda range from a shotgun.  Maybe you should look to a Rafle for that.

Thanks
Dave H.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
20 gauge slugs
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 01:43:47 PM »
At what range are you getting those groups. By rifled slugs do you mean the ones that have rifling on them and cost $2.50 for 5 or the ones you shoot through a rifled barrel that cost $12.00 for 5? A six ' group at 50 yards is good for the cheap slugs. A 1 1/2" group at 100 yards is atainable with the expensive ones. Ask jeff223 about the rage and effectiveness of the 20 ga. He posted a nice picture on the old board of a fine buck taken with his ultra 20. Sabot slugs and rifled barreled guns with a good marksman behind them are capable of 150 yards.Cheap slugs and smooth bore guns don't have the range or the accuracy but if you are not shooting past 50 yards they are adequate.A lot of deer have fallen to them over the years, including my first 4 or 5. As for ballistics I think the 45-70 comparisson was to the Winchester partition gold.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline jeff223

20 gauge slugs
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2004, 01:46:45 PM »
hoghunter,i shot 12ga slugguns most of my life.two years ago i sent in to nef for a 20ga ultraslug barrel and i am glad i did.you get great performance out of the new 20ga slugs of today. Winchester has a sabot slug that shoots at 1900fps and Fed. has a sabot slug that shoots good to.i dont know the speed of the Fed slug but it will shoot the same zero at 100 yds as the Win slug.i like the Fed slug for hunting because it is loaded with the Barnes expander bullet and its awsome on game.two years ago i did in fact shoot and kill a nice buck at almost 150yds.last year i killed another at about 50yds and my son also shot a nice buck with the 20ga.these 20ga slug guns dont kick like the 12s and are lighter.get one and dont look back.the 20s will do the job

Offline DAD

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
True story
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2004, 03:21:24 PM »
A 650lb  cow shot in the head at 50 yards with a Litefield Sabot slug. That cow went down and stayed. I shot the cow that escaped and the owner and myself tracked the cow down. The slug recovered was all together and expanded. Thats all I needed!