Author Topic: Pulling bullets  (Read 624 times)

Offline kingj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Avid Poster
Pulling bullets
« on: December 27, 2012, 09:05:53 AM »
I have never used brass which have had the bullets pulled. Resize them or not???
Character 24 hours a day 7 days a week !

Life Member NRA
.357 Handi
.35 Handi

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Pulling bullets
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 09:30:02 AM »
You shouldn't have to re size them, but you may find you have to bell the case mouth a little if they were heavily crimped, and you have difficulty seating new bullets.  I guess removing bullets could cause the case to stretch a little, but I have not had that problem with the limited amount that I have done in bottle neck cartridges.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 09:46:59 AM »
Agree with Bigeasy--easier to reload rifle ammo though if you use boattail bullets.

cybin

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 10:33:03 AM »
I rarely crimp mine, but do in certain situations. For heavy recoiling repeaters such as 44 magnums in my lever gun or revolver I will crimp.  I have neck sized and not necked sized. I try not to resize, but if I am not satisfied with the bullet tension, I will neck size. For crimped cases, I would size to iron out the crimp for straight walled cases. If you think you have pulled the neck out of center with a bottle necked case, then resizing is in order too. But that is my opinion and others my vary.

Good Shooting and Good Luck
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Larry L

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 12:00:11 PM »
While I'm sure you can reload those empty cases, you'll find better accuracy by at least neck sizing them. The issue is going to be varying neck tension unless the necks are resized. If yer just looking for ammo to go bang, don't worry about it. If you want to hit something and call the shot, resize the necks. Always remember what I was taught when I was learning to reload back in the 70's from a guy named Parker Ackley- "The name of the game is the same". That means the closer the reloads to being 100% identical, the more accurate the results.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 06:14:19 PM »
Larry L said it, resize'm or your neck tention will be messed up.
Just pull the decapper pin from your die and run'm through,,
found elsewhere

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 01:14:25 AM »
+1 to Larry L and necchi

What caliber?

Were they previously chamber formed (fired) in your gun? 

Depending on how many you have, it shouldn't take too long to prep primed cases for reloading.

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 09:22:47 AM »
Why not? Unless you're sure of how the cartridges/cases were originally sized size them. Plus, the case necks should be returned to the original "pre-bullet seating" demension for proper neck tension...

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 10:09:36 AM »
Neck size one case.  Chamber it.  If it doesn't chamber, bump it.  Do a dozen and see if they chamber.  If they do, you're done. 
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.