Author Topic: New Member intro and question  (Read 809 times)

Offline docbob5707

• Trade Count: (0)
New Member intro and question
« on: December 27, 2012, 08:01:59 PM »
 Hello Mates - Let me introduce myself (You all can call me Bob) - I am 59 year old and have been shooting and building Black powder rifles and pistols since I was 20 yrs old. I have always been interested in Muzzle loading Black powder cannons mounted on naval carriages – I have been trolling your forum for a few weeks learning a lot of things about purchasing, building and firing a large scale cannon. So much good quality information and experience I felt I just had to join in.  I currently own a Traditions Napoleon III in .69 cal. mounted on a field carriage – I am considering purchasing a Herns ½ scale six pounder and mounting it on a naval carriage. I would like to hear your opinions of the Herns barrels (good, bad and ugly) any insight would greatly be appreciated – Thanks so much Doc Bob

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
Re: New Member intro and question
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 12:04:44 PM »
We're glad you're here.  Lots of knowledgable folks and informative threads. Regarding your question about Hern Barrels, I bought a Coehorn mortar from them and have been pleased with it. The exterior casting was a little rough for my taste but it was easily filed and sanded smooth. There have been a few problems in the past with defective tubes but they offer 100% refund.  I like mine and hope you'll find one you like.
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline docbob5707

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 02:22:42 PM »
Thanks Mate - The reason I'm asking this question is from reading all the posts here on the board up to page 60 so far -  :) - I want to  confirm everything I have read about them - I have talked to Joel (of Herns) and found him friendly and helpful. Thanks again Mate.

Offline docbob5707

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 02:38:03 PM »
BTW - My home port is here in the Great Lakes State of Michigan  (Mt. Pleasant) -  I am one of  five Pirate Lords, and Captain of the Sloop CRYSTA for the Brethren of the Great Lakes. We attend and sponsor a number of Pirate events for the public. And while I do own a large Pirate ship replica (Parade Float) her cannons are Carbide cannons (8 of them) they sound good (about the bang of a 12 gauge). My crew is interested in doing muzzle loading Back Powder cannon demonstrations. Soooooo....... there ye goes (probably a little TMI)  ;D

Offline Cannon Cocker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 02:25:22 PM »
If you are into Pirate reenacting and the like, I would suggest you use either Hern's English swivel gun (which can go on a naval carriage) or the US Carronade (which is actually a gunnade, discussed in recent topics).   These have much more Pirate-ish lines (are more in the pirate time line) and have more character on a naval carriage in my opinion. 

As much as I try to stay period correct with my builds, I am swayed into using steel barrels that are turned on a lathe because the lines and contours are so sharp (which looks good to me).  With a replica of a cast iron gun, a Hern barrel is probably closer to the way an original may have looked, but I would still have a turned gun if possible.  I think there are some sponsors here who can do lathe turned guns and I know Zulu makes great naval carriages for any barrel.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 03:48:17 PM »
Hi Bob , welcome ! The only suggestion I would offer is that a 1/2 scale gun is going to require a crew . Herns are supposed to be pretty good guns once you clean them up abit .

I have a 1/3 scale 10 bl Parrot gun (1.750")that wieghs 140lbs total and is best handled by at least two .

Good luck and this is the place !

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline docbob5707

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 05:21:18 PM »
Thanks Mates -  Still deciding on the exact barrel (I like the carronade also) I'm a fairly good woodworker (Tools and experience) also have a small metal lathe and have done some metal work and plan on building the carriage myself - I got crew (30) an at least ten are interested in shooting the cannon - Looking for training NMLRA, Living History groups and such - I have heard we have a Civil War group (here in Michigan) who provides training during one of their Summer reenactments - Also in Friendship Indiana (NMLRA). Right now safety for my gun crew and for any observers is top on my list - not only for training but in the gun itself. I'm learning a lot just from reading past posts here on the board - though reading is no substitute for actual experience. - Soes many thanks to you all an bear with me while I an me crew come up to speed.

Offline Cannon Cocker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 05:55:42 PM »
I have heard we have a Civil War group (here in Michigan) who provides training during one of their Summer reenactments

You have some of the most knowledgeable people in artillery (Matt Switlik and Don Lutz) in your backyard. 

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 03:24:08 AM »
You also have the ACWSA of Michigan.  We have regular artillery competitions at the Blue Water Sportsmen's Assoc just outside Port Huron through the summer.   There is also the Grayling Long Range Artillery Competition at the end of July.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Randell

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 05:46:53 AM »
I would go with a South Bend tube, excellent quality :)

Offline docbob5707

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 06:00:48 PM »
Very kewl and many thanks Artilleryman is there a website or something I can get in touch with the ACWSA of Michigan? Many thanks again.

Offline docbob5707

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 06:04:16 PM »
"You have some of the most knowledgeable people in artillery (Matt Switlik and Don Lutz) in your backyard." - Thanks Cannon Cocker - Being new to Artillery Me crew an I can use all the help we can get - :)