Author Topic: How does DesMoines Register justify publishing stuff like this????  (Read 458 times)

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
How in the WORLD does a supposedly "responsible newspaper" allow this violent trash into their product and feel it usefully contributes to the public discussion?  I thought most responsible journalists and journals showed some judgement to avoid this kind of stuff.  Imagine if one were to replace " NRA" and "guns" with any number of other subjects - the liberal fanatics would howl like banshees!  To publish someone advocating torture of American Citizens is beyond the pale! The Register should be taken to task for their utter abandonment of social responsibility. Many news outlets wouldn't even allow such talk in their comments section let alone put it in a feature article!! 

We should challenge ACLU and all other anti-violence anti hate-groups to speak out against this sort of garbage.

httphttp://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20121230/OPINION01/312300033/Kaul-Nation-needs-new-agenda-guns://
Kaul: Nation needs a new agenda on guns
This time, the debate has to be about more than not offending the NRA's sensibilities.
........................... "The thing missing from the debate so far is anger — anger that we live in a society where something like the Sandy Hook Elementary massacre can happen and our main concern is not offending the NRA’s sensibilities.

That’s obscene. Here, then, is my “madder-than-hell-and-I’m-not-going-to-take-it-anymore” program for ending gun violence in America:
• Repeal the Second Amendment, the part about guns anyway. It’s badly written, confusing and more trouble than it’s worth. It offers an absolute right to gun ownership, but it puts it in the context of the need for a “well-regulated militia.” We don’t make our militia bring their own guns to battles. And surely the Founders couldn’t have envisioned weapons like those used in the Newtown shooting when they guaranteed gun rights. Owning a gun should be a privilege, not a right.
• Declare the NRA a terrorist organization and make membership illegal. Hey! We did it to the Communist Party, and the NRA has led to the deaths of more of us than American Commies ever did. (I would also raze the organization’s headquarters, clear the rubble and salt the earth, but that’s optional.) Make ownership of unlicensed assault rifles a felony. If some people refused to give up their guns, that “prying the guns from their cold, dead hands” thing works for me.
• Then I would tie Mitch McConnell and John Boehner, our esteemed Republican leaders, to the back of a Chevy pickup truck and drag them around a parking lot until they saw the light on gun control.And if that didn’t work, I’d adopt radical measures. None of that is going to happen, of course. But I’ll bet gun sales will rise.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
Re: How does DesMoines Register justify publishing stuff like this????
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 02:06:41 PM »
Liberals can do as they please without justification.
only conservatives have to explain themselves.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline Swift One

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 02:34:07 PM »
  Liberals can do as they please without justification.

I completely agree with the first sentance in your quote bugeye.  However, since I have taken more of an interest in politics and political parties, I have discovered that both the super powers are full of lies and complete BS- albeit one far more than the other.  I have also found that both super powers have found news stations that fuel their party agendas though filters.  And shame on the media (who is supposed to be the most unbiased source of intell) for acting the way they do to satisfy their political masters.
It's all a hot mess...........

Offline Larry L

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 02:36:22 PM »

Couldn't disagree with you more. Conservatives don't HAVE to explain anything to anyone. As Conservatives, we feel the need to explain our position in hopes of an exchange of ideas that ends in a win-win for everybody. We have the need for educating those around us to the virtues we grew up with even though the other side would rather we die than listen. WE much prefer the middle ground so that everybody has their way or at least some of it their way so that they can be a part as well. What we need to do is start taking Boehners approach and tell them to F off!

Offline SharonAnne

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 02:42:22 PM »
the rant of an unbalanced mind. Not to dismiss the tragedy of Sandy Hook but the rate at which firearms are used in murders is quite low when you look at how many firearms are in the hands of civilians. IIRC it comes out to something like 1 ten thousandth of 1 percent of firearms are ever used illegally. But the hoplophobes care not for reality. More children drown in buckets than are killed with firearms.  Make buckets illegal.
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 05:44:04 PM »
Midwest states like Iowa are so often held out as bastions of decency and respect. So I am having lots of trouble with the revelation that a prominent Iowa news outlet has shown themselves to have such poor judgement and utter disregard for decency. Or have concern that publishing such hateful articles might incite some unfortunate behavior.  You'll never see such awful stuff published by NRA.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA