Author Topic: Casting Bench  (Read 2550 times)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Casting Bench
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2013, 02:03:07 AM »
are you sure they guy used actual ceramic tiles? Ceramic has been used as a heat insulator since before we were born. Some tiles you buy are clay based not ceramic. Id guess even clay would hold up though as its made in a fire! Also swampy if you think about it all those pretty finishish on ceramic tiles are baked on. If it can take being baked it surely can stand up to a bit of hot lead.
blue lives matter

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2013, 03:14:54 AM »
It was ceramic tile.  It was not glued down but free floating on the bench.  They crack all the time for various reasons.  Glass is molten when it's poured but it will break.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2013, 03:29:50 AM »
If they were free folating (unsupported ) no wonder they broke the pot probly fell on them.  ::)
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2013, 11:53:25 AM »
They were supported, the heat broke them.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2013, 02:18:54 AM »
Ive dropped a hammer on my kitchen floor that is tiled without breaking a tile. Ive chipped a few through the years but have NEVER broke one. If he had enough heat to actually break a ceramic tile he would have had his shop burned to the ground if he would have had wood on the bench. If it can take direct heat from my propane torch it surely can take a little lead splatter. Like i said ceramic is used as a heat isulator. Most places its in building codes that if you have a wood stove in your home you have to have cermamic tile for a set distance all around it to prevent fires. http://www.mosaictileco.com/About_Tile_and_Stone.htm Your buddys tiles did not break because of heat and my question to you is a ceramic tile is only a 1/4 inch thick. How the hell even if they did crack could it possibly cause lead to spill? theyd have to be inches above the bench floating in air to dump a pot of lead!! come on swampy give it a rest. I know how hard it is for you but your going to have to admit defeat here or at least quietly bow out.
blue lives matter