Author Topic: slugging a pistol barrel  (Read 736 times)

Offline hc18flyer

• Trade Count: (2)
slugging a pistol barrel
« on: December 26, 2012, 12:28:37 PM »
I would like to slug my Beretta 92FS barrel to see what the bore diameter is. I like shooting cast target loads and am trying to improve accuracy. Does anyone have go instructions on getting it right and not damaging the barrel?
Thanks, Tom

Offline Hairy Chest

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: slugging a pistol barrel
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 05:51:53 AM »
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline hc18flyer

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 09:47:27 AM »
THANKS, I am wondering how much oversize the lead slug/ball needs to be? I may have to take my calipers into Walmart and measure some fishing sinkers.
Later, Tom

Offline Hairy Chest

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 06:51:16 AM »
THANKS, I am wondering how much oversize the lead slug/ball needs to be? I may have to take my calipers into Walmart and measure some fishing sinkers.
Later, Tom

Skip the fishing sinkers.  They're too hard. Just squeeze a soft lead bullet slightly so it is deformed, lube it, then tap it in the muzzle but leave the end sticking out.  Pull it out with pliers.  That is your muzzle dimension. Then drive another slug through the length.  Feel how it glides through.  It should be the same throughout. 

On a gun with 5 grooves, you use a strip of soda can wrapped around the bullet so it covers one groove, then measure.  Yours is 6 groove so there is no need for that added step.   
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.