Author Topic: range report  (Read 499 times)

Offline TOMMYY01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
range report
« on: February 14, 2004, 03:44:03 AM »
I took my 45-70 to the range this morning. Got everything ready to sight it in at 25yds. I took a long look at the bullet before I put it in. Man, what a monster. I had my heavy coat on and a wadded up shirt inside of the coat. Pulled the trigger. I was expecting a jolt like  my 12 ga. tracker. :eek: IT DIDN'T HAPPEN. I guess that the barrel is heavy it took alot of the recoil out :grin: Stepped it out to 50 yds and sighted it in. I'm shooting about an inch high but that could be that I'm just using the iron sights. I enjoyed shooting it so much that I will have to go get some more 300 grainers(coreloks) Of course, my POA might be just a little different. But all in all, I like this rifle a whole lot. Maybe just a little bit more than my 30-30. Now hopefully next weekend, Iwill try to go to 150 gr. coreloks and sight the 30-30-at 100 yds. Man that 45-70 is a fantastic rifle. Man I got to get some more bullets today. Well, going to clean it up. Oh, by the way, I turned some heads at the range shooting this morning. :shock:  tommy
I like my trophies on my wall and in my belly

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
range report
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2004, 07:40:12 AM »
Tommy01,
  I'm glad your happy with your 45/70. That recoil pad sure helps, don't it. If you move up in bullet weight, you'll notice a bit more kick. Are you planning on hunting with this rifle?
Don

Offline TOMMYY01

• Contributor
hunting
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2004, 03:05:08 AM »
Don
 I do,plan on hunting with it. I will use it for deer, bear, and boar. I will use 300's for the deer and the 405's for the bearand boar. It really shoots fantastic. I can't believe I waited so long toget it. I wen to BPS last night and got another box of 300 coreloks and got 2 boxes of 150 coreloks for the 30-30. I plan to sight my 30-30 in at 100 yds with the 150's :)
                                                                     tommy
I like my trophies on my wall and in my belly

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
range report
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2004, 03:45:47 AM »
TOMMYY01,
  Most of my 45/70 shooting has been with the Rem. 405 SP and some with the Winch. 300 Supremes. I just loaded some 405gr cast bullets for it yesterday, it's my first experience with loading for the 45/70., so I have some load experimenting to do. I plan to try the 350 Hornadys, and was even thinking about giving the Barnes bullets a try. I have the BC with iron sights and hope to find a deer with it this year. I've been hunting deer with my .44 mag.
Don