Author Topic: Buffalo Classic  (Read 687 times)

Offline B S

• Trade Count: (0)
Buffalo Classic
« on: March 16, 2013, 02:59:23 PM »
Hello all I'm very new around here. I am ordering a new H&R BC and I am very interested in installing a tang mounted rear sight on it. Now I have read the FAQ's and all and it appears the best way for me to install the sight is with the threaded inserts mounted/glued into the stock. My question now is where can I find such things and the screws that match the threads? I would also appreciate any suggestions as to which particular sight to get from other folks on here that may have mounted and shot with them. I have found quite a few options but it would be nice to narrow down the field with a little advise from other shooters. Any info is greatly appreciated!

Offline srussell

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Buffalo Classic
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 10:10:20 PM »
cant help you but will keep a close eye on this post. i would like to do the same thing. look at track of the wolf they have some tang sight that might work
 bill

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 03:47:22 AM »
A cheap tang sight can be OK for general playin' around, but if you want real repeatability in adjustments between ranges and changes you are going to have to pay some good money. Take a look a www.buffaloarms.com to see a fine selection of sights, but get prepared for sticker shock.
As to mounting, depending upon the sight's base length and how it will ride on the wrist, you want the lower eyecup position to still be usable so position for it. Taping a base on to mock-up and all is worthwhile.
You do want the underside of the base to be supported out to the edges to avoid any rocking side to side; its better to scrape the top of the wrist to achieve this than file or grind the base.
You want the staff to go vertical to the gun, otherwise as you adjust elevation you change windage.
Once in a satisfactory position you can screw it straight onto the wrist; inserts are tidy, but not necessary. Be aware the the buttstock throughbolt hole is in there. For most wood I like screws with parallel threads, rather than tapered threads. Once you have proven the position and function in use you may want to consider installing the inserts. I can assure you it is much easier to nicely plug, fill and color match the woodscrew holes in the wrist than the larger insert holes, should you ever want to.
Some will tell you that mounted straight onto the wrist will have changes due to humidity, etc. Well, no-one I know ever goes to a match without sighting in again anyway, so no worries.
Some will tell you that it is not as strong as tang mounted, etc. True, so what, either way you do not want to be bouncing your rifle off the tang sight anyway.

"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline B S

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 05:15:45 AM »
I have looked at the sight selection at buffalo arms, track of the wolf, lee shaver, midway, pedersoli, etc. There are many options and prices I feel like I would be ordering blind not really knowing what I'll actually get. I have been  interested in a tang sight set up for a couple years and this seems like it will be a fun project.  My lack of knowledge comes from not having ever used a tang mounted sight before and if my memory serves me right I don't personally know anyone that has either. My maximum possible range around here will be about 500 yds with most shots being 400 and closer. I don't really have any ambition to enter matches at this time but I still want reliable repeatability. I also intend to do some hunting with this set up. If like you say GC  i'll eventually mount with inserts after the position is proven with wood screws then I guess I would like to order the wood screws and inserts and matching screws all at the same time but I still dont know where to get them. Brownells and midway don't seem to have that sort of thing or at least I can't seem to find it?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 05:31:17 AM »
The hardware store will have some in the 'bins' section, often threaded 8x32 so you can look at what they amount to. Specialty woodworking places and catalogs (look online) will have them fancier and more expensive. Dont overthink this, a lot of old time shooters mounted them atop the wrist just as Ive described when the action didnt have a top tang (the the name 'tang sight'), just look closely at old photos.
For your purposes a shorter staff model will be nicer. When you fold one down they reach back over the nose of the comb and WILL leave scars if not in a soft sleeve. This is to say that something with maybe a 2 to 2 1/2" staff might be about right rather than a 4" something. At one time Lee Shaver was making a 'Soule' conversion of the Italian sights and it was pretty good, and way cheaper than a scratch built one and way better than an unmodified one. The cheaper sights dont have fine windage adjustments, and the cheapest have none and/or no screw adjuster, you just loosen the eyecup and move it by finger & eye.
Almost everyone I know who opted for a cheap sight has upgraded and had to find a less knowledgeable buyer for the first one, or thrown it in a bin for 'later'.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline rfd

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
    • Trad Gang
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 07:21:44 AM »
one of the problems that might crop up with a tang sight on the bc is that the barrel moves (tip up) and that *might* create a variance in sight settings. but, as mentioned above, it works for john boy!  i went instead with smith rear barrel sight and i'm quite pleased.  ymmv.
NRA Life Member ~ Molon Labe

Offline B S

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 06:44:44 AM »
Thanks for all the input so far. I am now waiting for the rifle to come in. Does anyone know of a factory ammo that the buffalo classics prefer? Or does it matter? I've noticed plenty of info on handloads but I haven't yet crossed the threshold of loading my own yet. I have a Ruger No.1 45-70 that shoots the Hornady LE like a champ, any thoughts on how the BC will do?

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 06:49:58 AM »
Every gun is an individual, but the general run of H&R 45-70's seem to shoot about anything they are fed; dance with who ya brung.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline rfd

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
    • Trad Gang
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 07:00:06 AM »
i bought and shot some black hills 45-70 govt smokeless, not bad at all for  a $1 a round.  the good thing is that the brass is starline and now that they're fireformed it's a snap to reload 'em again and for LOTS cheaper.  currently using trail boss and badman 405gn bullets, but will be casting my own lead and moving on to black powder by this summer.
NRA Life Member ~ Molon Labe