Author Topic: conceal holster for 4" S&W 357 Mag  (Read 1077 times)

Offline usmcbeck

• Trade Count: (0)
conceal holster for 4" S&W 357 Mag
« on: December 19, 2003, 10:29:23 AM »
Is there anyone that knows of a good holster to Conceal a large 4" S&W 357 magnum  I know it is a big gun.  I am 6'1" and 250 not too fat  I need a good holster for all year round with all types of weather summer and winter.  any suggestions welcome and appriciated.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2003, 01:57:54 AM »
see tha post i jest done on the sig part of this forum. now the folks that do this stuff is pretty pesnickity an sum of em doan do wheel guns
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline xnmr53

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2003, 07:42:30 AM »
Are you talking about the K frame .357 like the Models 19 and 66, or the N frame .357 like the Models 27 and 28?

Also, how do you want to carry? Strong side hip, crossdraw, shoulder holster, etc?

Offline usmcbeck

k frame
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2003, 01:31:29 AM »
It's a K frame.  I really don't have a preferance on how to carry it I just want the best way to conceal it.  It's a big 4 in barrel with a big grip I don't want the grip printing on me.  I don't know what will cover it the best.  I have a strong side holster that isn't made for this gun and tried it out and I printed with the grip.  Maybe the proper holster would prevent that I really don't know that is why I turned to here for advice
Thank you

Offline xnmr53

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2003, 07:38:26 AM »
If you are using the stock "target" grips, yes they are big. I replaced mine years ago with the early model hard Hogue Monogrip (not rubber), and they help keep the gun from printing.

I normally carry strong side hip, IWB.  I'm currently carrying a Colt Government clone in a Milt Sparks VMII which I like very much. IIRC, this holster is available for revolvers. I would buy one, but I rarely carry the .357 concealed. Right now, for the few times and brief periods that I carry the revolver, I simply slide it into my waistband, strong side hip.

What I like about the VMII is it's comfort and versatility. I can get loops for different sized belts, and with the kydex clips installed I can carry old slabsides under a shirt if the weather requires it.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Carry rigs for 4" 357
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2003, 04:04:01 AM »
usmcbeck - I think that for as long as your 357 wears the large grips the gun will print.  If you are 6'1" and running two and a half you are a pretty big guy and a large gripped revolver is going to print on you.  There are a number of holster makers out there who can/will/do make concealment holsters for that K-frame but something you may wish to consider is an Uncle Mikes pocket type holster that you can slide into your belt for either right-front strong side carry or left front cross draw.  These pouch type holders do not have belt straps or clips or retainers, they are held in place by the fit of the belt against the body and the leather on the holster that keeps it from sliding down your trousers.

The two major parts of that K-frame you have to worry about concealing, and not printing, are the grip and the cylinder width of the gun.  They can be concealed, fairly easily, but it may mean getting something like a slightly longer dress belt or whatever type of belt you wear so that when you cinch it up it doesn't look like you are trying to cut yourself in half.  You can always tell when a hefty fella is packin a piece - the belt holsters they wear necessitate a tight belt and you can always either see the gun print or see them shift things around a bit for more comfort.  You don't see that with an inside the pants rig, or the use of a pouch type holster just held in place by the waistband of your trousers.  Then, there is also the shoulder holster.....

xmnr53 gave you a couple of good hints, one where he mentioned that he just slides his revolver into his waistband - I have carried like that for years and continue to do so regularly.  His suggestion about another pair of grips is also very accurate.  I shucked the teeny tiny grips on my Bodyguard in favor of a pair of pachmeyers and immediately noticed two major benefits - (1) I could immediately and very effectively grasp the grip with great resultant accuracy, whereas with the factory grips or small service panels, the revolver would rotate in my hand and I lost all accuracy capability and (2) they conceal just as well as a small grip does.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline xnmr53

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2003, 06:58:17 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, Mikey.

The problem with the target grips is not their size so much as that sharp edge at the bottom of the grip where the sides join the flat bottom. I believe that any grip that avoids sharp edges will be far less likely to print. Also, I prefer the older Hogues because they have a smooth surface that allows cloth to slide freely over them, while the pebbled texture can be held firmly by the hand.

Also, the cylinder is not that big a consideration nowdays, particularly on a K frame. It's nicely rounded, and no thicker than the grips on the double column autos that are the current rage. Also, it is generally located under the belt with an IWB holster, which tends to flatten the bulge.

Offline stormin29

Holster
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2003, 03:02:41 PM »
Have you tried WWW.CABOHOLSTERS.COM.  They are the best I hae found for carrying fairly large revolvers. I carry a 4" 29-2 and love it.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2003, 04:06:03 PM »
For years I carried either a 4" M19 or a 2.5 inch M66.  Come to like two different holsters.  One was a pancake type holster S&W sold called the FBI model.  The other was a TexShoemaker Pancake holster.  The Shoemaker holster did a very good job of securing and concealing the 4", M19.  Bianchi also makes a good pancake hoster.  I have a Bianchi, but I feel that it does not conceal as good as the TexShoemaker holster does.  

The first thing I did was toss the factory grips.  The marketing people must of loved them.  I thought they were great until I tried to wear them on a weapon under a sports coat.  I went to the Pachmayr Decelerator grips and the Pachmayr Compac grips on the round butt K-frames.  I had no control problems with these grips.  This was firing full house 125 grain and 140 grain Silvertip loads. There were others who liked the Hogue grips.

Bianchi also makes a very good inside the pants holster.  I have a couple of those brand X soft suede holsters, but they do not offer much retention if you get down and dirty in a hand-to-hand pissing match.  Retention has to be an important feature.  I can remember watching the embarassed cop picking his gun off the floor in a restaurant.  He was setting at a stool eating when his gun hit the floor.  That sure got everybody's attention.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Sean

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2003, 05:12:56 PM »
FIST Holsters,  Jim Murnak. I have one of his holsters for a 696 5-Shot L-Frame .44 Special. It is a very solid holster. Mine is the model #14 Combination. It comes w/ loops for the belt so you can wear it IWB, also has slots to wear on the belt.

I would look at grips from Hogue or Arhends if you intend to carry. The barrel and cylinder are the easy part to conceal. Sean

Link to FIST  http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/

Offline lostone1413

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2003, 12:17:06 PM »
Here in AZ. I carry a GP100  357mag with a 4"barrel I wear a smartcarry you carry the gun under your jeans it is still easy to get to and it conceals very good. Here not to many times you have a heavy shirt or a coat to cover a holster They are on the net check out smartcarry

Offline Nanook 450

• Avid Poster
Re: Holster
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2004, 12:07:52 PM »
Quote from: stormin29
Have you tried WWW.CABOHOLSTERS.COM.  They are the best I hae found for carrying fairly large revolvers. I carry a 4" 29-2 and love it.

Recently purchased one of these for my 329pd and it works well - I carry it inside the waistband as recommended - been doing something else, that the maker does not advise - carrying inside my back jeans pocket with the loops in my belt - very comfortable, but different.