Author Topic: Bad news  (Read 2280 times)

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
Re: Bad news
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2013, 02:07:21 PM »
Since I can't decide, I'll probably get both.  The .45-70 later this month or early next month and the .30-30 probably in July when I have so much work, a couple hundred spent on another rifle won't be noticed. 

I have to restock one of my other rifles and get at least one scope too so waiting for the .30.30 is sounding better all the time.

I hope the granddaughter likes shooting and fishing as much as her mom and brothers.  If so, I have a lot to look forward to.

Tony

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2013, 02:20:15 PM »
I was too Tony, HD and Moto Guzzi back in the '70s then heavy equipment, and Ive had dermatitis to petrochemicals now for years......... :( , not as bad as some, but I watch it. Theres a lot of bad stuff for skin and absorbs in deeper with these solvents/etc.
'An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure' or 'Da** the torpedoes, full speed ahead'; ya pays yer money and ya makes yer choice.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2013, 12:34:48 AM »
I don't know how far I can go off topic but I was a bike mechanic for almost 20 year including the first few years when I started college.  I rode a Guzzi from 83 to about 90 but I never worked on them for a living.  I mostly worked on Yamaha and Kawasaki but Honda for a shorter time and very briefly H-D.  Injuries from getting pasted by a drunk while riding that Guzzi are why I had to give up turning wrenches. 

To keep things a bit on topic, my last full time job at a bike dealer was in Astoria, OR and I bought several guns from the local gunsmith and got my first reloading press in my couple years there.  Even back then I liked single shots but I don't recall ever seeing a H&R rifle in any gun shop I went to.  H&R shotguns turned up from time to time but I didn't even know the rifles were being made.

Tony

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2013, 05:05:57 AM »
Well Ton, we're twin brothers with different parents  ;D ,
I like 'big pistons', you probably will too  ;) , get the 45-70.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2013, 03:35:00 PM »
I ride a Yamaha XS1100 these days and I'm going for the .45-70.  The nearest gun dealer I know that carries H&R is Al's gun shop in Verbort, OR.  It's a bit of a drive but it's a nice place to do business.   However I'm afraid that while I'm there, I might fall in love with another gun and end up buying one ore than I can afford.

Tony

Offline theratdog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2013, 07:48:19 PM »
man i got latex gloves but i didn't think it would be so messy. :o