Author Topic: Choate stock on a Pardner 12 vs a slip on recoil pad  (Read 485 times)

Offline stewmagoo

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
Choate stock on a Pardner 12 vs a slip on recoil pad
« on: February 08, 2013, 03:10:40 AM »
I was contemplating a choate stock on my 12 gauge.  Does it absorb recoil well ? Is it too light?  Should I look at using a nice slip on pad with the wood stock?

Offline jeffcneal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Choate stock on a Pardner 12 vs a slip on recoil pad
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 05:25:34 AM »
stewmagoo:

All of my H&R's wear Choate furniture of some kind.  The adult conventional stock just fits me better, but of course that's an individual thing.  They are very light but seem to absorb recoil well enough for me, and I'm a recoil weenie :D !

regards,
Jeff
Most people are sheep, some are wolves.  I'm a sheepdog.

Offline stewmagoo

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 05:35:49 AM »
Jeff,
Yeah I am really looking at the convential adult stock and I can't make my mind up with the Choate "storend" or traditional forend. Either way the price is the same.  It must have swivel studs and it can work for any future plans I have with the barrel.  Was really thinking about shortening the barrel down to a 21 or 22 in range.  I hate to lose the choke.  How's your project going?
stew

Offline jeffcneal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 06:32:41 AM »
stewmagoo:

The 12's almost done, and the 20 will have to wait until my "slush fund" builds back up.  The Storend is neat in that you can install and remove it without a screwdriver.  Its swivel stud is at the front and parralel to the barrel.  Just be sure not to order the "Tamer" forend, it's a conventional forend WITHOUT a swivel stud. 

All mine currently wear the conventional forend.  But this new "Shorty 12" will be stocked with the Conventional adult buttstock and Checkered forend [...the 1 on the new Handi-Grip models...] for better grip and recoil control since it has more surface area.

Let us know what you decide and remember that I've got a guy who can thread for Rem-Chokes if you want to go with a shorter barrel.

regards,
Jeff
Most people are sheep, some are wolves.  I'm a sheepdog.