Author Topic: 45/70 loads for black bear  (Read 933 times)

Offline BIG JAKE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
45/70 loads for black bear
« on: February 14, 2004, 03:36:45 AM »
Hey any of you guys out there ever taken black bear with a 45/70? I'm planning on going to Maine next year. I've only use a 30-30 in the past with great success. But I'd like to use my new 45/70 this time. I'm new to this big bore thing and I'm hooked. I don't have the ability to handload at this time as I did in the past. So I'm looking for factory loads. I'm shooting 405gr. Rem. and they shoot great. Looking for any info, it will be greatly appreciated. :idea2:
squeeze it, don't pull it!!!!

Offline marv

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2004, 04:18:37 AM »
Big Jake All you have to do is 'Place that pill in the right place,
ether factory or hand loads, that bear is yours.  Marv.

Offline BIG JAKE

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2004, 04:56:13 AM »
Thanks Marv I think I can manage that. :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2004, 05:28:48 AM »
:grin: Jake, the reason I got my first Handirifle (in 45-70 by the way) was bumping into a happy hunter walking out of the Old Town Trading Post in Old Town Maine about 6-7 years ago. He had a big smile on his face and a little gun in his hands, a Handi in 45-70. We spoke and he told me he had just tagged out a nice big black bear with one shot with his 45-70. He showed me the rifle and let me handle it. I was hooked. Later that week went to the Milo Maine True Value Hardware store with a 12 gauge double I had no need for and a deal was agreed upon. I walked out with a new Handi in 45-70 and never looked back. Now years later, numerous Handis, Sportsters and several additional barrels later I'm still hooked. Got to love that 45-70. The fellow I met at the trading post got his bear from a tree stand with a 405 grain Remington flat point soft point. I hear many say the hollow points are not needed and  that the 300 and 405 grain remingtons will do all you need. I agree but have much fun reloading my 45-70 with 350 grain soft points. Above all, be safe and have fun, the 405 grain bullet will take any black bear out there, I think it is what you should use....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2004, 07:26:49 AM »
BIG JAKE,
  Pretty much anything you load in that 45/70, will do for a Black Bear. I'm just startin' to reload for the 45/70, but have had guns in this caliber since 2000. I agree with the others, stay with the 405 Rem. They are a great penetrating load and will probably drill that bear right through. More blood out, and more air in, that's the way to drop game. I see we both call Eastern PA. home. They don't grow black bears any bigger than in PA. I'm concidering hunting them this year, in the Poconos. Good luck.
Don

Offline BIG JAKE

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2004, 08:17:08 AM »
MSP Ret thanks for the info it will be very useful. it seems like the 405 has it. That's good because it shoots great in my gun. Thanks agian! :D  :D

Big Blue thank you too. As for bear hunting in the poconos, go to Pike county they have a bunch I took a few their with a 30/30 winchester knocked them dead. But thought I'd try this big bore stuff and I'm hooked! If you can muster up a bunch of guys drive the swamps they have a bunch of them , but stay out of Doc smith"s unless you plan to be beat up and wet. But we did get one in there. Most important scout scout scout. Good luck! :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2004, 08:35:59 AM »
BIG JAKE,
  I have a standing invite to hunt bear in Maine, and one of these years I'll take up the offer. I have scouted a bit in the game lands SW of Tobbyhanna, and saw a lot of sign in there. I hunt deer mostly along the AT west of Wind Gap and haven't seen any bear sign there. I have two 45/70's now, the Buffalo Classic and a Marlin 1895GG. They would both work well for bear. I loaded my first 45/70 rounds this morning. If I get a chance I'll try some out later today. My 30/30 is a Winchester, but my favorite deer/bear gun, is my Marlin 1894P in .44 mag.
Don

Offline BIG JAKE

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2004, 08:51:58 AM »
Big Blue I did most of my hunting off of 402 in the Pecks Pond area. My 45/70 is a 1895 guide gun and I love it. I was very fond of my 280 Rem. for deer but I've grown very fond of my Winchester 94 Big Bore in 356 win. I hunt the Blue Mountians for deer now and also down in the south eastern part they grow big. You can bet I'll be out lookin! Good luck! And if you do go to Maine let me know how you made out. :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2004, 09:48:15 AM »
Quote from: BIG JAKE
I hunt the Blue Mountians for deer now and also down in the south eastern part they grow big.

BIG JAKE,
  What part of the Blue Mts. do you hunt? I got a big buck two hours into the season, about a mile and a half east of the Smith Gap Rd. on Blue Mt. I saw another, and two does when I got him. My 13 year old son was with me, and I was glad we didn't both get a deer. Would have been more than I could have dragged out. My son's a bit on the thin side, and not much help draggin' deer yet, I have to fatten him up. I live about five minutes from there. I had all I could do to drag that one buck out. I was even thinking about quartering him. I heard of Pecks Pond, or maybe read about it, how's the hunting there? A bit swampy?Don

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2004, 10:51:23 AM »
I am curious as to what sight system you folks are using with the 45/70.
While the sights that came with the handi, looked somewhat rough,
they worked fine . I have shot a lot of deer with the .444, with a Redfield
wide angle 2 x 7. Any experience with a red dot? I want to keep the gun fairly compact...

Offline BIG JAKE

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2004, 01:01:19 PM »
Big Blue I started this year up there. I hunt right off the Shartlesville exit on 78. I park in game land lot off forge dam rd. But we got lucky and found out we could drive to the top instead of walking. Pecks pond has been in a few articles for fishing and bears. There is alot of state game land and state forrests in the area that is huntable. There are alot of swamps small and large throughout as I recall it has been awhile since I've hunted the area I was young and single then. As for your son I have one who'll be 13 in June and ther ain't much to him either but they'll thicken eventually. :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

tscott
 I use a williams peep on my 1895G, 2.5x leupold compact heavy duplex on Winchester 94 timber carbine in 444 and a leupold 2x-7x compact duplex on my Winchester 94 big bore in 356. I hope those are the ones you are talking about cause I could be here all night with the rest. :wink:

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2004, 11:00:53 PM »
I'm not much of a hunter, but we have a fair number of black bear in my neck of the woods and it's legal to hunt with dogs. Those young and spry enough to chase a bear and a pack of dogs up a mountain use stuff that is light and throws a good sized chunk of lead. Marlin .44 Mag carbines and .308 Win Featherweights are big favorites but some do use .45-70 Handis and Tracker IIs.

The bear almost always goes up the mountains, headed for the sanctuary of the National Park, and the shooting that gets done is usually at close range against a bear at bay, fighting a pack of dogs. The folks who do this stuff tell me that getting there in time is more important than what they get there with.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.