Author Topic: Pillar bedding the forend  (Read 509 times)

Offline S8Raz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Pillar bedding the forend
« on: February 03, 2013, 08:59:33 AM »
Just reviewing LaOtto222's very comprehensive how-to on forend pillar bedding in the FAQs.
Considering going to dedicated forends for my three-barrel switch setup in 223/30-30/30-06 as the forend fit slightly different between the three.  Most of the contact in the retention screw hole is at the back of the barrel lug - toward the receiver, which creates pressure toward the hinge.  All three wear o-rings.  Dedicated forends and pillar bedding may reduce a bunch of variation.
However, the instructions state there is usually some fit issues after pillar bedding when going back onto the frame.  It makes sense as the centerline of the retention screw, once bedded with this method is likely to be closer to dead-on center than the original counter-sunk hole.
Can this be mitigated by allowing the epoxy to harden with the barrel in place on the frame?  Or would this likely create an opposite situation, where things would go sloppy after bedding and then require shims between the spacer & forend?

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
Re: Pillar bedding the forend
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 11:20:57 AM »
Mine have all been bedded with the forend being left while everything dries. No problems experienced.

Thanks, Dinny

Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 11:42:38 AM »
i have several handi's that will out perform match grade rifles, and none have "bedding" done.
forend prep is inletting tha barrel channel, proper spacer adjustment and using when needed... o-rings.
even my many other brand customs do not require "bedding" after research and hands on.
its everyone for themselves i guess......its jus not me or my stuff in my opinion.
so have at it !! ;D

sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 12:03:10 PM »
+1 one on John's reply, I've never bedded one either, just float as best can be done by sanding or using shims on the stud same as an O-ring, and adjusting the fit so it's just right by adding thin aluminum shims to or sanding the spacer on wood stocks, or by changing the fit by "adjusting" (sanding) the radius to relieve pressure on the frame with synthetic stocks if it's too tight, I've even added a spacer to a synthetic stock so it could be fine tuned just like a wood stock.  ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline theratdog

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 02:10:03 PM »
+ 2 0n what  Gendoc said  ;)

Offline Dorado

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 02:31:30 PM »
+3 on Gendoc's comments, I did what quick described and with some ammo my .270 likes I get a 3/4" group at 100yrds, and I'm really not a good rifle shot.
my .02