Author Topic: 6mm Vartarg Turbo  (Read 632 times)

Offline dogslayer

• Trade Count: (0)
6mm Vartarg Turbo
« on: March 09, 2013, 03:14:05 PM »
Hi, I have an itch for a 6mm TCU but looking at the list from MGM they have a 6mm Vartarg Turbo I believe is based on the 222 Rem. mag brass but not sure if there are any other changes other than necking up and wondering if there might be a bit more powder capacity for a bit more velocity. Anybody have one or know anything else about them? I will be using it mainly for coyotes but also for deer hunting. I know alot of people have shot deer with the 6mm TCU and others say it is not enough but I only take through the ribs shots. Also do you know if MGM can get dies for their wildcats. All thoughts appreciated, thanks.

Offline jbj-displays

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Re: 6mm Vartarg Turbo
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 03:38:42 PM »
The 6mm vartarg turbo is based off the 222 Rem case with neck shortened and fire formed. contact The Woodchuck Den for brass & dies since they came up with the round. I have both the 20 VT and the 20 VT Turbo in the Contender. Very accurate.
Gary Reeder makes the 240 Rapter which uses the 204 Ruger case (222 Rem Mag) necked to 6mm and fire form. Gary has dies
SSK Industries makes the 6mm JDJ #2 based off the 225 Winchester case necked to 6mm and fire formed. JD has dies.

There you go. Just thought I would make your choice harder for ya !
Justin

Offline Iowa Fox

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 05:56:31 PM »
The 6 TCU is a much better option of the two IMO. Cases are made from easy to find 223 brass, cheap off the self reloading dies, and the two that I have shoot very well. I can't see anything to be gained from all the additional expense of the 6mm VarTarg Turbo.

Offline Junior1942

• Trade Count: (1)
    • The Frugal Outdoorsman
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 03:17:55 AM »
The 6 TCU is a much better option of the two IMO. Cases are made from easy to find 223 brass, cheap off the self reloading dies, and the two that I have shoot very well. I can't see anything to be gained from all the additional expense of the 6mm VarTarg Turbo.
what the Iowa Fox said.