Author Topic: Happy with 357 maximum  (Read 1901 times)

Offline rdh

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Happy with 357 maximum
« on: November 22, 2012, 04:27:51 PM »
Just got my 24" 357 maximum encore barrel last week. I mounted the scope with the DNZ mount. I used the speer 180gr fp loaded with H110. After sighting in ready to hunt. My eleven year old niece drew first blood with it they both had one thing in common both of their first kills. She was a little nervouse and hit in hind quater but dropped it like a rock. I made the finishing shot and I am very impressed with this set up and the round. I have had a 14" contender barrel for a few years but havent hunted much with it. Thank to all the people who posted some great stuff about this round on here

Offline jbwell

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Happy with 357 maximum
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 01:35:02 PM »
I have 24" 357 maximum on my Conterner. Shoots great, 1" or less at 100 yds with Hornady 35 cal 180SSP and 200 FTX.  Accurate 1680 gave me higher velocitys than H110 and W296.  Safe in my gun, 30gr of A1680 for both bullets.
180's loaded to an COL of 2.280 and 200's loaded to an COL of 2.460.  180's velocity is 2215 and the 200's velocity is 2130.

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 03:04:45 PM »
Just thought I'd jump in here.  I do love the maxi, thinking about getting a barrel from the TC custom shop for my contender. 

I have a question some of you might could answer.  Would you purchase the 357 mag barrel and ream it with the proper maxi rifle reamer available here on GBO, or just get the maxi barrel?  Do they cut the chamber properly or does it have a lot of free bore?

Bobby
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline jbwell

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 01:50:21 PM »
My 24" from the custom shop has a lot of free bore. This does allow for seating the bullets out quite a way which allows for more powder. Check my previous reply for loads and COL I use with mine. Both loads group 1" or less at 100 yards and velocitys are equal to or better than a 35 Remington without the recoil of a lever gun.

Offline rdh

• GBO Supporter
Happy with 357 maximum
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 02:08:07 AM »
My 14" contender barrel is a factory barrel I have not had any accuracy problems with it. My my encore barrel is custom and does not have forcing cone

Offline jy951

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (60)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 02:18:01 AM »
I did not think the TC custom shop was still open.  I would just buy a Max barrel from a custom manufacturer.  It should be ok.

Just thought I'd jump in here.  I do love the maxi, thinking about getting a barrel from the TC custom shop for my contender. 

I have a question some of you might could answer.  Would you purchase the 357 mag barrel and ream it with the proper maxi rifle reamer available here on GBO, or just get the maxi barrel?  Do they cut the chamber properly or does it have a lot of free bore?

Bobby

Offline OK hunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 03:15:28 AM »

Bobby
I have a 357 Max on an Apex platform and would recommend you go to a custom barrel maker to have your barrel done.  MGM or Bullberry is who I would go to if I were to get one for my Encore/Contender.  I have several MGM barrels and  they all shoot extremely well. 
On another note, I have heard some say that there may be no need for a barrel longer than 20" due to the amount of powder in the case.  My barrel is 20" and although I haven't chronographed it, it shoots quite well.
Just my 2 cents, for what its worth.  Good luck with yours.
Yeah, I'm a rifle looney

Offline rdh

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 03:50:16 PM »
Well I finally found some 1680 this week and a set of used hornady 357/357max dies that had the bullet seater I needed for the hornady 180gr ssp bullets. I loaded some up at 26.5gr of 1680 and went and shot them and they shot well under a inch. I adjusted the scope to these loads and will use them the rest of deer season. I would like to work up in powder weight to get more velocity but these seem to work good for time being.  :)

Offline eastbank

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 01:11:31 AM »
several years ago my gunsmith was making a small ring mauser into a 35 remington, as we talked i ask if he would rechamber a 10" bull barrel in 357 mag. into a 35 rem. and as the twist is 1-16 for the 357 contender barrel and the same for the 35 rem,and said he would like to try it. well the rechambering went smoothly and the extractor adjustment did also. with a 2x burris and 150gr and 200gr factory loads going into 1-1-5 inch groups at 50yds, its now my carry gun while riding my atv. i have not reloaded for it as i have about ten boxes of factory ammo. eastbank.

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 02:01:42 AM »
My 357 max contender barrel found me.  Got a used MGM rifle barrel deal in the works.  I hope it shoots as well as my H&R did.  She wasn't fancy, but would shoot lights out.  You gotta love this little cartridge.
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline spartacus1239

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
    • Just pics
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 04:24:13 AM »
any one know the correct part number for the bullet seater for the 180gr ssp bullets??
My FFL holder requires any firearms to be shipped to them via another FFL holder.  So, If I make an offer on a firearm please let me know if this is capable of being done from the start.  Please do NOT mark an item "SPF" to me until we "both" are happy with and in agreement on shipping, funds and the transaction in general.   Thanks

Massive music geek, have a LOT of different headphones and headphone amps.

Offline tnpaul12

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 04:31:06 PM »
any one know the correct part number for the bullet seater for the 180gr ssp bullets??
I would like to know that to gusse I could call and ask, but that on my list .
I hate pop ups