Author Topic: Which forum?  (Read 1490 times)

Offline marlinman93

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Which forum?
« on: February 14, 2004, 11:02:03 AM »
Looked around at the various forums, and couldn't figure out where to post about my new toy! Not a lever action. Not a big bore. Not a bolt action. Not a rimfire. What's a guy to do?
 I know, I'll post amongst old friends at the Marlin thread!
 Picked up an original 1880's Colt Lightning pump action rifle, in the medium frame, .44-40 caliber today! It's a old brown gun, but the wood is great, the bore is great, and it's all original!
 Best part is, I was kicking myself for passing it up 3 mos. ago at $650. Bought it today for $575! Somebody has been a good boy, or this would never have happened!
Ballard, the great American Rifles!

Offline jh45gun

Which forum?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2004, 11:36:38 AM »
Sounds like ya got a steal as the blue book I have is older about a 93 vintage and it list a lightning medium frame as around 600 bucks for a 50% gun and yours sounds a lot better than that and like I said my book is older so I think you got a great deal. Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline marlinman93

• A Real Regular
Colt Lightning
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2004, 02:17:59 PM »
Thanks Jim! I'm pretty pleased with it, as I was ticked at myself for passing it up earlier. Got a picture downloaded, so here it is!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Which forum?
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2004, 06:58:18 PM »
Wal I've got a forum for:

Small bore rifles
Medium bore rifles
Big Boar Rifles
Single shot rifles
Lever action rifles
Bolt action rifles
Pump and semiauto rifles
Rimfire rifles

And probably something I over looked.  :) Just pick one and drop it in.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Sure-Shot

Which forum?
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2004, 08:19:39 PM »
Please MM93 where can I get one of your magnets.  Great find. Really nice.
GBOT GBA

Offline jh45gun

Which forum?
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2004, 03:36:44 AM »
Marlinman I bet that rifle is worth double or triple from what you paid for it from the shape it is in which looks very nice to me and from what my outdated blue book says. Great find!! Jim

Offline CEJ1895

• Avid Poster
Which forum?
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2004, 05:28:18 AM »
marlinman93 - His magic continues!  :-D  :-D  Hey marlinman93 do you pick lottery numbers too?  :grin: Great find on this rifle and I hope you find many more bargins like this one! CEJ..
If I can't take my rifles with me, I don't want to go!

Offline Red Neck64

• Avid Poster
Re: Which forum?
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2004, 05:31:23 AM »
Quote from: marlinman93
Looked around at the various forums, and couldn't figure out where to post about my new toy! Not a lever action. Not a big bore. Not a bolt action. Not a rimfire. What's a guy to do?
 Picked up an original 1880's Colt Lightning pump action rifle, in the medium frame, .44-40 caliber today! It's a old brown gun, but the wood is great, the bore is great, and it's all original!
 Best part is, I was kicking myself for passing it up 3 mos. ago at $650. Bought it today for $575! Somebody has been a good boy, or this would never have happened!

Nice rifle you have marlinman.In A1 shape it sells  for $1275.00,you  got a deal,Colt made it from 1887 to 1904 good luck with it. :roll:

Offline Dali Llama

Re: Colt Lightning
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2004, 05:38:09 AM »
Thanks Jim! I'm pretty pleased with it, as I was ticked at myself for passing it up earlier. Got a picture downloaded, so here it is!
Nice looking weapon, say Dali Llama!!! :grin:
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline jh45gun

Re: Which forum?
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2004, 07:09:44 AM »
Quote from: Red Neck64

Nice rifle you have marlinman.In A1 shape it sells  for $1275.00,you  got a deal,Colt made it from 1887 to 1904 good luck with it. :roll:
 The 92/93 blue books prices I have are considerably more than that but I guess it all depends on which book you use. I guess the best thing to do is have it evaluated. I do agree it is a nice rifle. Jim

Offline marlinman93

• A Real Regular
Which forum?
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2004, 11:46:17 AM »
Looked at Flayderman's and after further investigation, the Colt appears to be an early first variation, with only the 1883 patent dates. The serial number of 13xxx indicates it was made in 1886.
 Nope, never played the lottery, and don't plan to. I'd rather get lucky with guns, than lotteries! They're more fun to play with!
 Took it completely apart last night, and spread it out on the work bench. Looks great inside, with no wear to speak of. Must have been one of those that was carried a lot, but shot little. 100 years of gunk inside, but it cleaned up fine.
 Pretty interesting mechanics to the old Colt. This is the first one I've ever torn apart, but it's not nearly as complicated as I thought. Tried to find some breakdown references in my library, but none there. Still, if I can take it apart without reference, it has to be simple. Not as simple as a 1894 Marlin, but still not bad.

Offline marlinman93

• A Real Regular
Which forum?
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2004, 11:50:53 AM »
Graybeard,
 Right you are! I totally missed that "pump and semiauto hunting rifle" thread! It's really tough getting old and senile!

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
Which forum?
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2004, 12:07:53 PM »
It's really tough getting old and senile!

Hey... I resemble that remark.   :eek:     :devil2:
Deactivated as trouble maker