Author Topic: S&W Bodyguard  (Read 1609 times)

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
S&W Bodyguard
« on: September 16, 2012, 03:04:34 AM »
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Mike in Virginia

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: S&W Bodyguard
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 04:46:14 AM »
They are impressive looking.  .38 caliber has been keeping folks for more years than most of us have been alive. 

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 05:48:36 AM »
So light and handy....The cylinder latch is way better than the old type.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 09:46:39 AM »
The cylinder latch is way better than the old type.

One of the things that  kept me from getting one. Maybe it's the years of reaching for the latch on the left side of a S&W, but to me it just didn't feel right and I questioned the ease and quickness of finding it under stress. It did fit my hand nicely and certainly is priced right for a gun with a laser. Yeah, the laser switch seemed a bit awkward too. I stuck with the old J-Frame.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 11:24:34 AM »
Thinking of trading my Model 36 for one.

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 08:17:23 AM »
If you want a "Belly Gun" the .38 Spec. version will do. Nothing to do with caliber. Everything to do with accuracy. The Bodyguard revolver is farrrrrrrrrr from accurate even at moderate ranges. My son bought one and kept it a week. Maybe he got a bad one who knows? I welcome feedback from anyone who owns one. He sold it and got the semi-auto .380 Bodyguard. Differance in accuracy is like night and day. He loves this one. Now before ya think my son just doesn't know how to shoot I'll let you know he's a Certified Excutive Bodyguard with extensive tactical training. I've seen him shoot a variety of weapons and he's scary good! He tells me a gun is good or bad....I listen!

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 11:38:34 AM »
If I want a semi-auto it won't be a S&W.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 12:06:12 PM »
I have owned a S&W 638 for almost 20 years now. It's a favorite, even my wife likes shooting it.
I bought a 442 when they where offered and sold it, it was nice but the 38/638 while not as good looking is a better design allowing a SA or a DA shot.

These new ones do not appeal to me., modern (ized) old guns look just like what they are....souped up snazzed up "old" guns... Not my thing...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 12:32:29 PM »
I tend to agree with S&W semi-autos. I've no real experience but I've heard little good said about them. The Bodyguard is the exception and rules sometime have them. I base track records on actual use not things I read and those that own them sure like them. When that's so there's generaly a good reason for it. My son got his as one of his many back-ups and it has outperformed the Bodyguard revolver so no complaints and, as I shot the revolver myself when he had it,  were I given the choice I'd take the semi-auto any day. Belly guns have their place in the world I'm just not in the market for one. :)  Also I just don't see the .38 Special +P as a selling point in such a short barreled inaccurate gun. More of a, "Hey look at me I'm rated for +P rounds" kinda thing than actually practical. Also, as inaccurate as the revolver was, the laser was a novelty as well as the gun scattered shots wherever it chose at any given pull of the trigger making the laser basicly useless.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 12:55:32 PM »
I have shot a bunch of J frames and I have yet to find one that was not accurate. What I think is hard to find, is people who can shoot them accurately. ::) ;)

This was a couple cylinders full I fired quickly, DA at 15'.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 01:01:14 PM »
Likely you're on to something with those thoughts.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 01:53:08 PM »
I'll put my son's shooting skills up against most anybody alive and you can name the firearm. As I said, it could be he just got a bad one. As bad as it was I'd lean to saying that was the case if others shoot ok.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 02:16:20 PM »
I will agree that he might have gotten ahold of a bad one, but bad ones are hard to find.  I have the blued version of the M38 in CWs picture and when I want to have fun at someone elses expense I will take it to the range and dong the gong at the 100 yd mark.  Granted it is a 12" round piece of steel which isn't difficult to hit, btw.  When I find myself in trouble is when guys older than I am start showing up and using my target with their snubbies.  I usually plink with the 158 gn swcs when I do this but one guy will stand there with his snubbie with the 200 gn loads and will fire and say 2, 3, dong.  Its a hoot.  The one pictured in Swampy's post is the newer dao version and I don't like the feel of the trigger; I prefer the sa/da of the older M38s.  The only way I would give up my M38 is in trade for a +P rated version like CWs.

Offline Savage

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 12:36:17 AM »
I have shot a bunch of J frames and I have yet to find one that was not accurate. What I think is hard to find, is people who can shoot them accurately. ::) ;)

This was a couple cylinders full I fired quickly, DA at 15'.

CW

That's the truth if I ever heard it!!!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 02:25:14 AM »
I have shot a bunch of J frames and I have yet to find one that was not accurate.

+1

I've carried a BodyGuard for about 40 years now.  Wore it in an ankle holster as my backup weapon back in the day.  Matter of fact now that I think on it, most police carried J frames as their second weapon...  :-\

I won a bet with the range master once who said I couldn't shoot a qualifying score with mine.  Back then the PPC included shooting at 60 yards, prone!   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 02:35:18 AM »
Youse guys that can hit a target have me envious. My onliest hope in a serious confrontation is the other guy will step into my shot--- :( :-[ ;)
Seriously---At ranges that I thing are the most probable, it is not a matter of luck but a matter of nerves.
I really don't like snubbies--in any form--for shooting at the range. Wheather i can dong a gong at 100 yards---which I can't, on a regular basis-- is not the important thing. i just don't like plinking with them.
Now, I own a couple or few.
I even carry them on occasion---but---much prefer full sized and I don't think they are much harder to carry and conceal than a snubby.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 03:17:52 AM »
Ah William, that was when I had two good eyes.   :'(   But this got me thinking.  Ima gonna haul that BG and my 44 snub down to the basement and do some 7 yard cap popping!   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 03:47:09 AM »
I married a woman who can shoot your lights out no problem with a snubbie.  Her little Charter Undercover may not be an expensive weapon, but if she ever gets after someone with it they're a goner.  She can rapid fire and break clays at 20 yd.s unfailingly...she can outshoot me with a handgun by a mile.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2012, 05:10:24 AM »
The old S&W snubbiies are darn accurate.   Many years back when my eyes were good and hands steadier I was at a police range with a buddy of mine who was a FBI field agent and the police armorer who had brought out a few 'toys' for us to play with.   I got bored while waiting my turn with the M16 so I started busting the heads off of stalks of grass about 7 yards in front of the shooting station I was at with my buddy's (the FBI agents) S&W M60.   He sees dirt flying and ask "What are you doing?"  So I told him I was shooting the heads of stalks of grass.  He says "Get out!...  Are you hitting any of them?"  I said "Yeah, watch."  and proceeded to clip the heads of 3 more stalks with the last three rounds in the cylinder.  His eyes got real big and he said to me "I hope you're around if I ever get into a gun battle." 

Back in the day I was a pretty good shot and my LEO friends who I shot with were always telling   me I should get into law enforcement.  I always said that my "range tricks" might be pretty impressive but none of those targets were shooting back at me.

As an aside I bought that M60 from that FBI friend about six months later when the Burough switched from revolvers to semi-autos and they wanted the field agent's BUGs to be semi-autos as well.   
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2012, 10:55:33 AM »
Ummmm, Richard.......wouldn't shooting prone give you a unfair advantage, seeing as how you would havehad such a large stable platform to shoot from???????   Just askin', that's all...................

Offline gandog56

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2012, 05:52:47 PM »
I just got mine.

Dialing in my laser on it.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 11:50:37 PM »
That's not the gun I was talking about.

Offline gandog56

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2013, 02:55:28 PM »
That's not the gun I was talking about.

Confused, since mine is a S&W Bodyguard....I never clicked on the link...a Bodyguard .38?

Didn't even knew those existed, though both have Lasers.