Author Topic: strange range report, need advise  (Read 1011 times)

Offline dadsturn

• Trade Count: (0)
strange range report, need advise
« on: December 03, 2012, 09:38:43 AM »
rifle: Browning m1000 eclipse, no boss. 300wsm
Ammo: 150gr winchester ballistic silvertips
Scope: Mueller 4x16x50
wind when this happened: cross wind 5-10mph
Had sighted the gun in on thursday with "0" at 100 yards. With the ammo used, my shots should have been elevated 1.5" for a shot at 200 yards.
Saturday took gun to range after shooting a nice buck that morning at 85yards and hit perfect and shot the following:
All shooting done from bench and with bipod
100 yards: 3 shots in 1" perfect. Went to shoot at 200 yards and all shots fired hit left 6". Aimed 1.5" high. Went back to 100 yards, and again grouped 3 in 1".
5-10mph winds shouldnt have thrown the bullet that far off would they?

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: strange range report, need advise
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 11:44:53 AM »
I'm going to take a shot at this:  first, you were using a bi-pod on the rifle and I wonder if the barrel did not heat up enough with the 150s, which are hot and fast moving,  or heat up just enough to throw the shots, the same way a warm/hot barrel throws its shots if the stock is impacting the barrel.  Maybe the barrel cooled down enough when you went back to the 100 yd line so that she shot to poa. 

Also, did you change the magnification on the scope when you went to the 200 yd line?  I am not familiar with the Mueller line but believe them to be quality scopes, but yet you have a large range of magnification, and a big lens (50mm) that may cause your poi to move if adjusted. 

I would not think a 150 gn 30 cal slug would move 6" in a 5-10mph cross wind unless a gust hit you as you fired, maybe, but maybe so....  You said your groups hit left 6" - how was the group, under 1" or did it spread out???

You shot your deer with a cold barrel, right? but your 200 yd target with a warm barrel??  Just thinkin'....

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 12:06:28 PM »
Wind has a dramatic effect on bullet flight.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline FPH

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 12:12:37 PM »
Would be in range with 10 mph cross wind.