Author Topic: 20 GA Shorties  (Read 923 times)

Offline bodie4

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
20 GA Shorties
« on: January 17, 2013, 01:58:16 PM »
Im putting this info up because a member was inquiring.  These are two 20 ga shorties, the camo is tapped with a full choke, its overall length is 33.5 and has a 18.25 barrel.  I have a snap on high viz sight on it,  im left eye dominate and right handed so bead sights dont work for me.  This is my go to turkey/squirrel gun,  I stole the stock from my first turkey gun that had the 3.5 12 ga barrel.  I also have a 12 ga shorty that is simlar but lighter, it kicks pretty hard.  The heavier barrel of the 20 ga and difference in load significantly helps and its kick doesnt bother me at all.  The other 20 I chopped the barrel and added the hardware/furniture.  Its not the ideal home defense gun but its simple to use for the wife if im not around.  The adjustable stock stays in the shortest length for the wife so I have no trouble with it as some others have.  I never replaced the bead figuring its more of a close quarter point and shoot kinda gun. Its overall is 31 inches.

Sent from my Samsung Tab

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: 20 GA Shorties
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 01:02:53 AM »
Nice brace of shotguns there Bodie.  Yes, those 12 gauges are light and do kick.  However, my next shorty will be a 12.  Just plan on reloading it to 28 and 20 gauge levels with 3/4 and 7/8 oz shot at no more then 1200 fps but still have the option of 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz.

Offline jeffcneal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 04:41:11 AM »
bodie4:

Too cool!  I'm ready to do a 12 and a 20 gauge!  Got the ball rolling yesterday with the purchase of  3 choke tubes and a wrench.  Hoping to get to the gunsmiths today and order Choate furniture on Monday.  And thanks for the additional photos.

regards,
Jeff
Most people are sheep, some are wolves.  I'm a sheepdog.

Offline ThomasB

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 09:07:30 PM »
Nice looking shorties you have there. I've got an old 12ga (see avitar-bottom gun) that I have thought about cutting down to 22in and getting threaded for  screw-in chokes. I primarily want to use it with an improved cylinder choke and use it for a fun-gun busting clays. Probably use it with low recoil  7 1/2 or 8 shot. Might be a fun project for this coming spring.
Thomas B.