Author Topic: Artillery conservation at Ft. Moultrie  (Read 552 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Artillery conservation at Ft. Moultrie
« on: January 17, 2013, 11:59:52 PM »
I don't know when this dates from, but it's good too see that the NPS is striving to maintain Fort Moultrie, and artifacts.

https://conservationsolutionsinc.com/projects/view/64/architectural-and-ordnance-metals-assessment/

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Artillery conservation at Ft. Moultrie
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 06:06:15 AM »
Thanks, interesting, nice to see somthing's being done.  I've been kind of keeping track and at this point it seems as if the US Navy is the only gov't activity which has totally resisted all attempts to convince it that cannon conservation needs to be done.  Too bad too because it isn't like the USN is just another battlefied with a few Napoleons and ordnance rifles, they have a great many unique and "world class" pieces, particularly at the Washington Navy Yard and the US Naval Academy.  Neither one of those places has even been able to decide which of their various departments has responsibility for the cannons, or at least that's what they tell outsiders like me.  No one is responsible.  I was pretty disgusted when a Rear Admiral told me this to my face, but he's since been fired for many similar mistakes and general neglect of his responsibilities, so hopefully some day this will become a real issue the Navy puts on their "to do" list.  The Company of Miliary Historians even visited the Washington Navy Yard with an offer of free assistance but it was ignored.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 03:32:32 AM »
Simply from an overview of info available on the web, it seems like the National Park Service makes a good effort to fulfill its conservation obligations.

In a way, I can understand why the USN might be a little wary of having a group of volunteers come in to do conservation work on historic bronze guns under their charge, but I still don't get why they refused your offer to raise and donate funds for the conservation of the guns at Leutze Park. Did the powers that be (at that time) ever give you a reasonable answer for their refusal?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline MKlein

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
  • Wetumpka, AL
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 04:39:28 AM »
Straying from Fort Moultrie but about historical artifacts and conservation. You guys might know where to send this question.
Not sure who to ask this but did they ever retrieve that Sawer Gun that fell off the USS Constitution in the ocean at Ship Island?
" Captain Manning's battery have landed five of their steel rifled cannon, with the Sawyer projectile. There were six of these guns on board the Constitution, but unfortunately one of them was lost overboard in removing them from the transport. It is hoped that they will be able to recover it, as a buoy floats right over the spot where it fell."     —Harper's Weekly, January 1862

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 02:52:58 PM »
Did the powers that be (at that time) ever give you a reasonable answer for
their refusal?
The admiral (who got fired) told me nothing could be done because it could not be decided what Navy command had responsibility for the cannons.   No response was ever provided to my last letter, which contained among other things the offer of assistance.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 02:16:19 AM »
John,
In looking back over the tenure of past directors of what is now called the Naval History and Heritage Command, it doesn't seem like captains hold the post for very long. It appears like they're given the position until an admiral or PhD comes along, but this current captain also has a Phd, so maybe he'll be there for a stretch of time. Have you had any communication with this new guy yet?

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 09:48:23 AM »
Have you had any communication with this new guy yet?

The Ital. button won't unpress, so...  No but I talk to people in the yard who know what's going on and know that NHHC is up to their youknowwhat in large amphibious carnivores after the Navy IG ripped them some new ones recently for all the things that had been neglected for like forever.  So the rotting uniforms, rusting small arms, and many other little but higher visibility things will keep them busy for some years I'm afraid.  Personally I don't have any time, all I'm doing is trying to keep up with orders to our webstore and auctions we run on Gunbroker.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 10:59:55 AM »
I'll give him a try, and see what he has to say.