Author Topic: Cannons Laws in Canada  (Read 806 times)

Offline aab1991

• Trade Count: (0)
Cannons Laws in Canada
« on: January 20, 2013, 04:20:19 AM »
I have been looking in the firearms regulations and can't find anything covering cannons in Canada. Does anyone know what regs they fall under. PAL required? Is it even a firearm? Any help appreciated.
Gary

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Cannons Laws in Canada
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 05:47:54 AM »
Gary,

Sadly we don't have a lot of Canadians on this board.   I do know a Canadian fellow who does do some work with cannons and I will ask him if he would drop in here and point you at regulations and where you can the proper legal advice.

We don't offer legal opinions here.  In fact to not contribute to all the misinformation found  on the internet we have a rule against giving legal opinion . but rather ask that folks point to the proper governmental agency to to give you a legal binding  opinion.

Grant should be able to do just that. 

Give him a couple of days to respond. 

Offline Dr Frank

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 06:34:45 AM »
Info may be found at the Canadian firearm website  http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/antique-historique-eng.htm.   This is the federal firearms site.   Cannons lit via touch hole are antiques and no paperwork or registration is required to purchase or own. I.E. large matchlock.   If fired via percussion, now become muzzle loading rifle/shotgun and a P.A.L. license required to purchase, but no registration of cannon required. Hope this helps....Frank

Offline GrantRCanada

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 08:18:07 AM »
Dropping by as requested by Double D, but I see that Dr. Frank has essentially answered your question.  You will have noticed that the firearms website information to which he provided a link does not specifically refer to cannons, but any muzzle-loaded cannon is effectively just a really big shotgun (or rifle) and thus the silly rule applies that a percussion-ignition muzzle-loader doesn't fit the definition of "antique" unless it was actually made prior to 1898.

I belong to an 1885-era Canadian Artillery demonstration group with a modern-made touch-hole fired gun ..... we engage in firing (mostly blanks, but occasionally with projectiles) at all sorts of venues -

Offline aab1991

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 03:50:43 AM »
 Thanks for your replys, I have been moving this past week and had no internet service and could not respond until now. I respect the fact that legal advice can’t be given for many reasons.  My main concern was that I was wondering what was required to fire a cannon. I do not have a P.A.L. and was told by a hunter that because it was black powder, was muzzle loading and was not fired by a percussion cap no P.A.L. was required. He wasn’t certain about this and couldn’t find any info and suggested that I check with others. I understand that it can’t be registered and may be considered and antique because it is a replica (12.5 inches long) of a 1779 24 pounder and just wanted to be on the safe side of the law. From what I have read it seems to be ambiguous and may subject to opinion.
Thanks, Gary