Author Topic: have any of you installed sights on your .30-06 handis?  (Read 382 times)

Offline fish280

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
have any of you installed sights on your .30-06 handis?
« on: January 24, 2013, 11:14:09 AM »
i'm trying to get some ideas. here are some options i am considering:
standard handi sights. (i have takeoffs from a .45-70)
remington sights with firesight inserts (i have takeoffs but they are a bit beat up; i could probably buy a set cheap off fleabay or somewhere else).
skinner peep, and williams or remington ramp front with partridge blade or fire sight.
some other brand of "fire" type sights, like the set on my t/c black diamond; i see those very well.

i much prefer open sights to a scope now that i can see sights very well thanks to my glasses. a handi with open sights is so much more stinking, uh, handy ... :)
His,
><>

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: have any of you installed sights on your .30-06 handis?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 02:05:19 PM »
I use a Remington front ramp with a bead or fiber optic insert and a WGRS rear sight. It's funny that you ask about the 30-06... mine is at the gunsmith right now getting the front ramp installed. :)  I've got a nice ivory bead insert to put in it when I get it back. I've got the same setup on a few of my Handi's and it's way better than factory Handi sights.

Spanky

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 05:38:25 PM »
I'd sure go with the WGRS and a ramp with a fiber-optic or if you prefer traditional a Gold Bead ('Ivory' beads have disappeared on me in certain light conditions). I have been surprised how good groups have been with some 'glow-worm' sighted guns Ive tried lately.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 09:50:29 AM »
Quote from: Spanky
I use a Remington front ramp with a bead or fiber optic insert and a WGRS rear sight. It's funny that you ask about the 30-06... mine is at the gunsmith right now getting the front ramp installed. :)  I've got a nice ivory bead insert to put in it when I get it back. I've got the same setup on a few of my Handi's and it's way better than factory Handi sights.  Spanky

Good suggestions!  And one (of several methods) I too would consider.

The 'WGRS' is a Williams sight part.

One tip, I've found 3/32" diameter fiber optics a nice way to go for a front bead, altho the ORANGE 3/32" Marble's is much brighter than the RED 3/32" William's.  ;)