Author Topic: New 45-70 BC  (Read 418 times)

Offline rawdog

• Trade Count: (0)
New 45-70 BC
« on: January 31, 2013, 05:51:27 AM »
This is only my second post on this site, a newby....
I have enjoyed my Handi 30-30 so much I decided to get another. From reloading and learning I came to the conclusion that the ideal case for a break action rifle is rimmed and straight.... I know that bottlednecked cases are fine if full-length resized (now i know!) but all things considered, it seems like rimmed is best. That considerably reduces the options of course, but no problem cause there are some very good options.... Since i lean towards very traditional rather than most recent up-to-snuff choices, I narrowed it to a .38-55 or a .45-70 in a BC rifle. Since I could find only one used .38-55 online (which I would have preferred) and it was not cheap, I have ordered a new .45-70 BC for only $404 + tax.

So, my question is.... I have read that the .45-70 might have a rather short throat. Is this prevalent in all H&R 45-70 barrels, 22"and 32" or just one or the other?

Is there any chance that anyone could say whether H&R has corrected this?

Current uncertainty in gun market, they could not tell me when my gun would arrive fr me to pickup, sure am looking forwared to it!

rawdog

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Re: New 45-70 BC
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 06:06:13 AM »
it seems like rimmed is best.

Uh Oh!  What you just said!!!   ::) ;D

Is this prevalent in all H&R 45-70 barrels, 22"and 32" or just one or the other?

I dunno,  :-\   I just throated mine out like Tim did but only cause I had already rented a throater for my 45-120.
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: New 45-70 BC
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 06:59:58 AM »
H&R may have remedied the short throat issue, I have/had seven H&R 45-70s, 3 32" BCs and 2 22"  Handis, a 2008 24" SS Ultra Hunter and a (2011?) 18¾" Talo Trapper. The last three I bought, an extractor BC barrel, the SS Ultra and the Trapper all have decent freebore for loading heavier bullets longer. They aren't all in their original configuration now tho, the first BC became a 45-120, one BC became a 50-140, and I throat reamed the three others with short throats with a 4D rented throater, we now have a GBO owned throater for any future needs, see the GBO reamer sticky for more info. ;)

If I had to guess if/when H&R fixed the throat issue based on those I own, I'd speculate that it was sometime around 2007-2008 when they switched to extractors, the 50-140 barrel is the oldest and it's an extractor as are the other threetwo with good throats.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain