Author Topic: new scope on my handi .223  (Read 553 times)

Offline josebd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
new scope on my handi .223
« on: February 16, 2004, 03:29:48 PM »
just put a simmons 44 mag series on with the smart reticle,superb scope,nice and clear. ran out of daylight on trying to get it sighted in. still trying to figure out the smart reticle, any body have one of these?

Offline naedlaen

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 04:44:34 PM »
josebd,

Use an object of known size at a known distance to determine the ratio,  then use the ratio to estimate the distance by using an object that you have a good handle on the size.   Measure a paper plate and find out the distance it takes to fill the diamond.  That will give you a ratio.  Then if you are hunting coyote, a coyote stands about X tall and its chest is about Y deep.  This may allow you to estimate the Range.  

On my mil-dot, each dot spans 3.6" at 100 yards when the scope is set at 12 power.  If a coyote's chest is 12" from top to bottom, and there are 2 dots covering it at 12 power, then he is about 160 yards away, (mental math: 12 divided by 7.2(3.6x2) is more than 1.5 and less than 2)

The instructions might give you some details on the ratio of the reticle.  My mil-dot scope came with some details.  The Smart Reticle is similar, but only has 4 divides instead of the five on my scope.

You might also check the simmons website.  www.simmonsoptics.com

Neal

Offline josebd

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 07:50:10 AM »
is there anybody else that can explain how to use this,i have never used one before,it came with instructions but i still dont understand it?

Offline bull b 25-06

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 06:22:19 PM »
I wish i could tell you ,but i bought a Leatherwood 6.5x20x50mm (bullet drop compensator) no-math Mill-Dot system.Best scope i have ever had,but you must know the chest dimensions of your target,which my instruction manual tells the dimensions of most game animals. Anybody looking for a great Mill-Dot rangefinding scope i recommend the Leatherwood,which can be found at SWFA on the Greybeard homepage.
Later bull b 25-06 :grin:
If at first you don't succeed then change the rules