Author Topic: Redfield Revenge rings  (Read 639 times)

Offline Tractorsaw1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
Redfield Revenge rings
« on: January 14, 2013, 03:04:00 AM »
Anyone mount a redfield revenge in 3x9x42 yet?  I need to get a set of rings for this scope to set up my new 45-70 ultra hunter.  Will be using the factory rail.  Curious what height/brand of ring to keep the scope close & I have no problem modifying the hammer to make it clear.  Most places around me don't have a big selection so I will order from grafs so I can also pickup some powder.  Thanks
We can skin a buck we can run a trot line & a country boy can survive

Offline brayh92

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Redfield Revenge rings
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 11:01:12 AM »
i have the same set up on my .45-70, mines wearing weaver extra high quadlock rings because i didnt want to bob the hammer but if you do some hammer work high rings will fit fine and ive had no problems at all with mine it shoots great and the scope looks good on it too
Handi's: .45-70 Govt, .22-250, Pardner 16 GA, Topper 58 20 Ga shorty, Pardner 410 GA

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 11:06:34 AM »
With a 42 objective I dont think you are going to have a problem with getting too close to the hammer if the front clears the barrel as it must.
Id prop that scope up in there with some cardboard and tape and measure how tall the rail to scope body needs to be with the bell clearing the barrel by about 1/16" or a tad more (not too much) then measure some rings in store.
FWIW, my H&R rail is the thickest one I have, so that gains you a little if yours is the same. Regardless, with a large bell scope you are going to have a pretty heads-up position behind it.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 11:14:33 AM »
Objective size is very rarely an issue with Handis due to the height of the scope rail on the chamber swell, barrel sights may interfer tho if not removed. Here's a pic of a 50mm objective scope mounted in medium Burris Signature Zee rings, the interference point to worry about is the other end of the scope at the hammer, no mods are required if the scope is Handi friendly .  ;)

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 11:52:36 AM »
Wow, I just took a look at the 'Revenge' line and do they ever have a chunky ocular bell; you surely could have a hammer issue there.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 11:48:58 PM »
I too use the medium Burris Zee rings on all my scoped Handis.  Have never had a problem with anything up to 52mm.  They're steel, tough and not too expensive..

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Crow Juice

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 12:51:33 AM »
I used 6 bolt Weaver Tactical rings , high with a steel Warne Base . These rings are beefy and reasonably priced.

Offline Tractorsaw1

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 01:05:58 AM »
I didn't think the front end would be the issue.  I had talked to another person who had the revenge & the revolution & he said the ocular end was about the same size.  It looked like the revolution had a more hammer friendly taper on it.  Will see how it pans out.  Thanks

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 09:20:27 AM »
I too use the medium Burris Zee rings on all my scoped Handis.  Have never had a problem with anything up to 52mm.  They're steel, tough and not too expensive..

Pete

I also have Burris Zee rings holing up a 6-18x scope on my .223 Handi varminter.  There's a slight tight fit but I can get my thumb in there to cock the hammer without using a hammer spur.  I could hear the difference in lock time with and without the spur on so I choose not to use them.

Tony

Offline Tractorsaw1

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 02:30:08 AM »
I was going to get leupold prw's, but they were sold out in medium.  Went with warne maxima in medium.  Hammer barely clears with no modification.  The low's would of needed a lot of modification to clear the eye piece.  In case anyone can use this info later.