Author Topic: Kahr p380 Break in  (Read 923 times)

Offline kenscot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Kahr p380 Break in
« on: August 12, 2012, 04:16:27 PM »
Read plenty of horror story about the reliability of the p380 but decided I realy liked the fit finish and size. Planned on doing the 200rd break in but did not think I would have a malfunction in almost from every mag
95% percent of the issues were the slide locking back on  partially filled mags.
First I tried 100rds of remington 90gr FMJ followed by a good cleaning and lube
Then I tried 100rds of winchester 90gr FMJ the premature lock backs continued with the same frequency. At this point I already mentally started to compose my call to Kahr just not happy with a 650.00 jammer.
Any way broke it down again and relubed but this time I noticed that the slide stop was not a solid pin like a 1911 but it is a pin that rides in a sleeve arangement.
I gave it a little spin and noticed it felt a little gritty.
So I gave it a real oil bath and spin it till most of the gritty feel was gone.
Back to the range with a box of hornady critical defense ammo.
Only one premature lock back. Ok this is getting better. So ran another box of remington with about 3-4 lock backs which were early on. bought one more box of independence FMJs and fired 3/4s of the box flawlessly.
I hope this does it.   If not I will be dumping it and be looking at the LCP or the bodyguard

Offline kenscot

• Contributor
Re: Kahr p380 Break in
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 05:37:52 PM »
Well another 150 rds through and still premature slide lock . Gave Kahr a call and they said send it back. Hopefully this is a quick fix

Offline Savage

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 03:06:13 PM »
Anything new on the Kahr?
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline kenscot

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 12:42:50 PM »
After 4 trips back to the factory including a frame swap.
1200 plus rounds of ammunition of every type and brand I could get my hands.
Kahr was unable to deliver a gun that would reliably shoot and function a box of 50 or 20 rounds depending on brand.
I don't think that getting through a box of fifty rds without some type of malfunction is a lot to ask of a $700.00 pistol.
After the last trip to the factory I was told they could find nothing wrong with the gun after shooting 1bx of ammerican eagle and a box of gold dots. They suggested that perhaps I was not gripping the gun properly.
I bought two boxes of each and guess what FTF's and FTE's from the first box of each brand.
DUMPED IT AT A BIG LOSS  >:( >:( >:( 
Right after I sent the P380 to the factory the first I bought the S&W BODYGUARD and it reliably shot and functioned  all the same ammo I was trying to get the KAHR to work with.
I have since dumping the KAHR bought the RUGER LCP and guess what it also functions without issue !!
I guess only KAHR requires the super magical-mystical ninja grip that I was unable find >:( >:( >:(