Author Topic: 44 mag for Handi  (Read 570 times)

Offline tzimm007

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
44 mag for Handi
« on: February 05, 2013, 10:50:58 AM »
Howdy all,
I am wanting to start loading 44 mag for my Handi. I am going to order the lee 3 die set. Do I need a factory crimp die? Should I get a taper or roll crimp? My Handi has a 16in barrel, it seems to like the win white box the best so far, it didn't shoot the hornady lever's very well. Any recommendations on a load that will work well for deer. I built the gun for my wife's little brother who just turned 13. This is his first deer ever. He got her with that little 44 mag
Thanks guys, TJ

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: 44 mag for Handi
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 11:20:11 AM »
I don't crimp for my 44 mag Handi, try it without a crimp and with a roll crimp.  One will group better than the other.  Just use your normal die, but crimp in a separate step after seating the bullet.  The big thing with a Handi is the "generous" chamber.  Load them longer than you would for a pistol.  You can set the bullet out quite a bit (which is why I don't crimp).  I'd also try Lil Gun over H110, the data is under pistol on the Hodgdon data center site.

Since you are going to be reloading take a look at 357 Maximum in the Handi Rifle section.  I put together a 357 Maximum and a 44 Magnum Handi for Indiana's deer season this year and my 44 mag is now gathering dust.  The 357 maximum is basically a 35 cal version of a 30-30 with less recoil and report.  And you can load 357 mags or 38 spls to plink.

Here's the guy that revived the 357 Max in IN.  It's a 200 yard deer rifle.

http://357maximum.com/

Offline tzimm007

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 03:13:20 PM »
Wow that 357 maxi is looking very interesting. I've been looking around for a 30-30 barrel but I think the maxi will do the job. I'm not to interested in toteing around a 24 in rifle though. Ill check out the maxi section in the Handi's. I'd like to keep the barrel 18 to 20 tops. Thanks for the info TJ

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 04:50:14 PM »
Wow that 357 maxi is looking very interesting. I've been looking around for a 30-30 barrel but I think the maxi will do the job. I'm not to interested in toteing around a 24 in rifle though. Ill check out the maxi section in the Handi's. I'd like to keep the barrel 18 to 20 tops. Thanks for the info TJ
I would recommend you get the 30-30 barrel first, then if you still want to get a Maxi, get it later.  Original Maxi barrels are hard to come by, most of the available Maxi barrels are hand reamed by the barrel owner.  If you decide to do it yourself, you have to buy a .357 barrel first, then rent a Maxi reamer, then do the job yourself. 

The maxi will do the job, but, and it's a big but.  The 30-30 barrels for handi's are one of the most consistently accurate barrels made by H&R (actually, I think Marlin made them for H&R).  You'll never have problems with getting ammo, and brass for the 30-30.  The price for factory 30-30 ammo is also a lot less expensive than that of 357Max.  The 30-30 is a proven deer round, and has been getting the job done for years.  Most likely you would be "rolling your own" ammo.  I would also check the availability of brass for .357Max to get an idea if it's still available, since it a seasonal item.

For more info on the Maxi, and Maxi rifles go to the H&R centerfire rifles forum on this site.  There was a 30-30 barrel for sale in the H&R classifieds recently.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.