Author Topic: Moly coated bullets  (Read 974 times)

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
Moly coated bullets
« on: February 21, 2013, 05:27:44 AM »
I recently picked up a large number of moly coated bullets at a really good price.  After getting them, I started thinking about some of the advantages and disadvantages associated with their use.

What are your thoughts about moly coated bullets.  Are they better than uncoated bullets? 
Should I remove the moly coating before using them, or just use the bullets the way they are? 
If you recommend that I remove the coating, what should I use to remove the moly coating?

Please state reasons for your belief, and if possible, give a source.  I really don't want to go with "I heard" type statements. 
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Moly coated bullets
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 08:35:28 AM »
For removing the Moly from the bullets, if you decide you don't like or want them with Moly, the method I used was in the tumbler with old, dirty walnut media (I never throw anything away ;-) ).  After a few hours the media will be black with the Moly it removed. It will also leave a bit of Moly on the inside of the tumbler too.
Below is a photo of some bullets with Moly before and after tumbling compared to new bullets without Moly.

Bill

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 09:14:56 AM »
OR-E-Gun Bill,

So what's your take on the moly covered bullets?  Are they as bad as some people say?  For instance, does it cause damage to your barrel?  I spoke to a rep from Hornady, he told me if I need to clean the moly out of the barrel all I had to do was clean it good with Hoppes (Love that smell!) No. 9. ;D

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 09:39:14 AM »
I've never had any problems with the one barrel that I use them in. Like you, I got a pile of them for a good price. Would I buy more? I doubt it as I can't see any improvement in my use of them. I shoot them in a H&R Handi 223

Bill

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 02:08:28 PM »
The only issue I know of with moly is that you must, absolutely must, clean & lube the barrel immediately after shooting.  From a post on AR15.com:

Moly must not be allowed to stay in blued or parkerized barrel for any length of time. It is a hygroscopic material (attracts water) and will cause corrosion in a very short time. This has been proven time and time again all over the web. Don't believe it? Coat some copper washed steel BBs in moly, and let them sit outside in the weather for a day or so. They will begin to rust. This is why most of the "professional trigger puller" web sites shy away from moly, their rifles have to live in the real world out in the weather, and moly will cause problems for them overnight with just a few shots fired.

I also saw (but can't find) a page where someone tested moly on a piece of barrel steel and it etched the surface of the metal in short order.

Edit: Found it: http://www.varmintal.com/arelo.htm#Corrosion

If I was shooting a rifle with a stainless steel barrel, I might consider it, but not for a chrome moly steel barrel like all of mine are.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 12:17:16 PM »
Years ago I shot Molly coated bullets in a 17 Rem. It fouled the barrel so bad it loat all accuracy. I was ready to rebarrel the gun so I tried fire lapping the barrel and got it back to shooting again. I will never shoot Molly again.

Offline FPH

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 12:31:01 PM »
My friend tried them in a .243 he built for yotes out here in W. TX.  I was curious about them as I have a 6mm.  He told me he saw no advantage to them and they caused a lot of clean up.  He only used the one batch up and said he would not buy anymore.

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 02:16:16 PM »
If you want to remove the moly soak them in full strength household ammonia.  Put the bullets in a plastic container and cover with ammonia then let sit for 30 minutes or so.  Take a few out and rinse in running water to check if the dull copper color appears that indicates the moly is gone.  If not return the bullets to the amomonia and check a few at 30 minute intervals until the moly is removed.  Rinse thoughly after the moly is gone and tubble if you want them shiney.

Do not leave the bullets for an extended period of time without checking as the ammonia will also attack the jacket after the moly is gone.

Ken 
NRA Life Member

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 07:24:28 AM »
Shoot them with the moly on them.  Clean the barrel first of all copper before shooting moly.  With moly you will be adding more powder.  Moly bullets shoot great and the barrels last a longer time. 
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 07:51:02 AM »
My experience-

About 10 years ago, I bought a heavy barrel Remington 700 Varmint in 22-250 as a PA woodchuck gun.  Gun shot about 1 inch with various factory loads.  When I had acquired enough brass, I went to my local gun shop, who only had 55 grain Sierra moly coated bullets in stock, so figured I'd try them over H380 powder.

1st load out the door averaged between 1/3 and 1/2 inch, all day long, so I went back and bought 2000 of those bullets, and have stuck with that load combo ever since.

More accurate then non-coated?  Don't know, as I stopped experimenting with that rifle after trying the above load.  No doubt, if I tried other bullet / load combinations, I would find one just as accurate in that rifle, just didn't see any reason to.

Faster then non-coated?   Maybe, but according to the chrony, there is probably more variation in velocity between individual guns then from just the coated bullet itself.

Barrel damage?   I clean that rifle with Hoppes #9 and a brush after every 50 or so rounds, and have never had issues with rusting, or Moly build up effecting accuracy.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 02:26:02 AM »
Larry,

Good to hear your experience has been favorable.  I had "wondered" about moly as many loath it.  I have not tried it myself but inadvertently purchased it on some GBO Classified bullets in 270 cal x 150 Partitions, which I subsequently polished the moly from as to not create a new round of experimentation in my Model 70 Winchester. 

Like you, I found the sweet spot with combinations of bullets/powder/COL, quit experimenting, and went straight to shooting and having some fun.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 10:25:54 AM »
I read the early hype and decided to give moly coating a fair trail. I moly coated a big pile of bullets in .224", 7mm, .308" and .358" and began trying them head to head against same bullets without moly. I did a lot of load development work with them and in absolutely no case did I see any of the advantages touted for them.

There was no increase in velocity or accuracy. Since I don't have pressure testing equipment I can't speak to that claim.

I can say from experience the moly does build up in your barrel and it just keeps on keeping on building up and at some point when enough have been fired pressures will start to climb based on higher velocity with loads previously run across the chrono and a few hundred rounds down the barrel.

It is a bitch to get out of the barrel once in and I'm not convinced I ever got all of it out of the barrels I used. It is hydroscopic I think that's the right word meaning it attracts moisture and if you leave a barrel shot with moly bullets and the air is damp rust will form. You can prove it to yourself like I did by trying it. After awhile rust will come out of that barrel when you clean it if you leave it in.

I gave up on moly coating years ago and wrote up my results somewhere on here. I still have a bunch of moly coated bullets but I will get as much of it off as possible before using them.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 11:19:18 AM »
GB and Land Owner-

The rusting issue does seem to be an issue, from what people say, if a barrel is left un-cleaned.  Has not been an issue in my carbon steel barrel, but I do clean each time after I shoot it.  That 22-250 is the only gun I have tried them in, and I probably would not recommend them, as there seems to be no real advantage, just extra cleaning and possible risk of barrel damage, at least in a carbon steel barrel.  I am about out of those original 2000 Sierra's, so maybe I will work up a new, non-coated load this spring...

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 01:04:30 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong - the coated bullets that Nolser and Winchester produced (Lubalox or something similar) were not moly were they?  What is that coating?  Any advantage or disadvantage?  Are they still made?