Author Topic: Handgun scope,EER,red dot or Reflex sight ?  (Read 687 times)

Offline bcraig

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
Handgun scope,EER,red dot or Reflex sight ?
« on: February 17, 2013, 07:56:37 AM »
Hi,I am needing some input on scoping a 1891 Mauser rifle.I will be using a scout type mount .
I will be using the rifle for deer hunting out to 150-200 yards.
I have no experience using a forward mounted scope and need some experience here !
Thanks
Craig

Offline bcraig

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
Re: Handgun scope,EER,red dot or Reflex sight ?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 09:27:43 AM »
I like and am used to using Leupold 4x fixed on my other rifles with a convential mounting system.
And I just measured and found that somwhere between 10-1/2 ans 12 inches or so is needed for the eye relief.
Craig

Offline JonnyReb

• Trade Count: (89)
  • Where is John Galt?
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 04:36:39 PM »
Hi Craig
  I can't answer your question definitively, but can say that I'm mulling over the same question on a slightly different rifle but with similar eye relief. I just can't find any redot type scope that's going to give a clear shot at the 150+\- yardage. Most all are 1x or need a seperate 3x magnifying unit. No matter what, the dot is going to be 6" or more across at that yardage, just no way to shoot accurately at that distance...irons would be more precise.

Probably an extended eye relief scope is the answer for us, they give 8-12" of eye relief (handgun being 14+" I think) and still magnify so we can hit out past 100 yards. The least expensive one with ok reviews is by leatherwood\hi lux. I'm sure the optics are decent in most respects, but most of the extended eye relief scopes have a narrow field of view. The leatherwood is not good in this dept and so I looked around further.. really I can't find anyone other than leupold who has a nice quality EER at a fair price.  300 bucks looks like minimal to shoot the long range stuff with a nice piece of glass.

In the meantime I put a decent little leapers 1x redot on my rifle and can plink easily out to 50 yards or so and enjoy both eyes open shooting. Gonna save my pennies and in the meantime pick out which eer scope will serve me best. Just my thoughts on this, maybe someone more experienced with some good recommendations will help us out. Best of luck, will be interested in seeing what you decide.  J
Active trader until 9-11-14 GB

Offline Hairy Chest

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 06:35:11 AM »
Your targets are smaller than 6"?   ???
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 04:55:26 AM »
Hi,I am needing some input on scoping a 1891 Mauser rifle.I will be using a scout type mount .
I will be using the rifle for deer hunting out to 150-200 yards.
I have no experience using a forward mounted scope and need some experience here !
Thanks
Craig
I like and am used to using Leupold 4x fixed on my other rifles with a convential mounting system.
And I just measured and found that somwhere between 10-1/2 ans 12 inches or so is needed for the eye relief.
Craig

Since you know Leupold scope quality.

I would suggest the Leupold 2.5x28mm IER scout scope, it has 9.3" relief. Depending on your scope base, maybe you can use extended rings to adjust the scope too your liking.

Leupold EER handgun 4x28mm scope has a 18" eye relief which is probably too much for extended rings.

yooper77