Author Topic: Fire Forming Recipe for K-Hornet?  (Read 924 times)

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
Fire Forming Recipe for K-Hornet?
« on: February 12, 2013, 05:24:06 PM »
Hello gents... I have been fire forming my K-Hornet brass using 10 grains of Lil' Gun with H45 SP Hornet bullets and spray lubing the cases before firing... seemed to work fine initially, but lately I have been getting split necks... what are you guys using to form your K brass?
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: Fire Forming Recipe for K-Hornet?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 05:37:10 PM »

This was from a few months back.  The last post is interesting about cold weather.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?topic=262757.0

Offline hoytcanon

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 04:14:19 AM »
It is pretty cold up here in Canuckistan... we had the wood stove going in the shooting shack, but the bench would have been pretty cold when we were fire forming these last couple batches... our first runs of fire forming for K-Hornet were with new and once fired Rem brass and 10 grains of Lil'Gun... we only lost one in 200 rounds... these last couple batches though we were loosing 5 out of 10 cases to splits... OUCH! Here is the post that you referred to;

"I've never fireformed a case but been with a mate when he did his K Hornet cases and he/we found out one thing if your out shooting on a cold day keep your ammo in your pants pocket to keep them as warn as you can, couse first 10 he shot he had them laying on the bench and 7/10 cracked and after those he put 20 at a time in his pants pocket and by doin that  he got 0/10 cracked..."

It is hard to imagine that the starting temperature of the case will have that big an impact, given the combustion heat and pressure of the shot, but I am willing to give it a go... what the heck. Something was up for sure... we used the same new and once fired brass and the same load recipe and lubed the rounds with a spray lube prior to shooting... although now that I think about it, perhaps in the cold temperature it is the lube stiffening that is cause the problem? Maybe in the cold we should try using a dry case? Whatdoyathink???

Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 04:34:58 AM »
I've been fire forming .22 K-Hornet rounds for many years without one split case.  I was using all new Winchester and Remington cases.  I've never used once fired brass.

I think it's more likely the cases are brittle.  Try standing the cases half way up in water and quickly annealing them with a mini torch then tip them into the water to cool.

I've always just use the starting Hornet load of 2400 in my RCBS manual for fire forming loads.  It's cheap and I have a bunch on hand.  Then I save the LilGun for varmint loads.

Tony

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 04:51:14 AM »
I've never had one but a buddy bought one thinking he had a regular hornet. He bought a box of ammo and shot them, I don't recall that he lost any of the factory loaded ammo.

Offline hoytcanon

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 09:59:42 AM »
I've been fire forming .22 K-Hornet rounds for many years without one split case.  I was using all new Winchester and Remington cases.  I've never used once fired brass.

I think it's more likely the cases are brittle.  Try standing the cases half way up in water and quickly annealing them with a mini torch then tip them into the water to cool.

I've always just use the starting Hornet load of 2400 in my RCBS manual for fire forming loads.  It's cheap and I have a bunch on hand.  Then I save the LilGun for varmint loads.

Tony
The first 150 once fired brass fire formed perfectly without a single lost case... then all of a sudden the last couple batches were problematic... I debated on annealing, but never had to with the first couple hundred cases we fire formed, so I figured there was another problem... I am going to try warm, dry cases first and then move on to annealing (which is a PITA)... we'll see how that goes.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 10:41:24 AM »
Have you tried the dipping the case neck into the hotpot of lead for x sec. then water quench to anneal?
IMHO, the brass, by splitting, is telling you that it is too brittle, so something has to be done about it. I prefer utilizing the KISS principle, some of those annealing processes seem problematic.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline hoytcanon

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 02:25:18 PM »
Have you tried the dipping the case neck into the hotpot of lead for x sec. then water quench to anneal?
IMHO, the brass, by splitting, is telling you that it is too brittle, so something has to be done about it. I prefer utilizing the KISS principle, some of those annealing processes seem problematic.
Nope never tried that... do you not get a lead build up on the case, or does it just crack away when you cool it?

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 03:42:35 PM »
I tried it way back on some bottlenecks.......held the base with my curved jaw pliers and held the neck in to a good'n hot pot to about 1/4 depth of case, swirled slightly for 3 sec. and pulled, lead slipped right off and I dropped into a pan of water. My problem came then when trying to neck down in too big a step. The neck and all just telescoped into the body! Pretty soft I guess.......I just bought cases then.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 05:08:25 PM »
try THIS GUY"S method

I have read about this a few times and the way this guy explains it, matches all the best descriptions I can find.

Offline hoytcanon

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 05:50:41 PM »
try THIS GUY"S method

I have read about this a few times and the way this guy explains it, matches all the best descriptions I can find.

Thanks Nanuk... I will use that method if I have to anneal.