Author Topic: AO Problem?  (Read 430 times)

Offline taxmiser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
AO Problem?
« on: February 17, 2004, 07:31:59 AM »
Have just taken up .22lr silhouette shooting and have noticed that when I make a very minor parallax adjustment which is required when I change the magnification the point of impact will move up to a 1/2" at 50'.  This is indoor shooting using a commerical rest and unless the parallex ring is moved will shoot groups just bearly measurable over the 22 bullet diameter, so it isn't the rifle nor ammo.  Just changing the power setting causes no such problem.

The scope is a Sightron 4X16 with a Lee dot, this can't be right can it?  That would equate to a movement in excess of 3" at a 100 yards which is more than enough to miss a well centered shot on the target.

Thanks,
Dale

Offline Mueller Optics

• GBO Sponsor
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.muelleroptics.com
AO Problem?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 04:03:10 PM »
My thoughts are that the scope is performimg exactly like is suppose too. Its there to prevent the problems your having by being parallax free at the yardage its set at.. You said if you dont adjust the parallax, the groups stay tight even when you change the magnification which is exatcly how the scopes suppose to perform.

Now if your using it to focus try the eye-bell or quick focus instead and see if that helps. Its possble it could be out of focus and just more noticable at higher or lower magnifications. Just a thought.

MO

Offline big6x6

• Contributor
AO Problem?
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 04:27:24 PM »
Are you actually FOCUSING the parallex adjustment or setting it to the yardage on the scope bell that corresponds to the shooting distance?

Bob your head up/down and side to side and see if the reticle moves.  Turn the AO until you elminate any reticle movement at all distances.
Deactivated as trouble maker. Letters to sponsors over inline forum problems.

Offline taxmiser

• Avid Poster
AO Problem?
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 04:43:09 AM »
There is no noticable parallex when it is adjusted to the distance at which the weapon will be fired.  The problem is when I adjust the parallex initially for that distance and then change the power setting it loses the maximum clarity.  A small adjustment of the parallex ring sharpens the image again but moves the P.O.I.  I can't believe that it should require constant movement of the focus which as I understand it, is set once for maximum reticle clarity.
Just doesn't make sense to me but then I have only been shooting with scopes since 1956.
Thanks all,
Dale

Offline big6x6

• Contributor
AO Problem?
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 02:29:26 AM »
Try adjusting the AO to where the reticle doesn't move at each power setting.  Move you head up and down while looking thru the scope.  If the scope is not focused the reticle will MOVE slightly while moving your head.
That's what the AO is for.  Not necessarily to sharpen the IMAGE, but to eliminate parallex error(changing position of the reticle at different eye/head positions).  

Give it a try.
Deactivated as trouble maker. Letters to sponsors over inline forum problems.