Author Topic: Handi Scout Mount  (Read 1127 times)

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
Handi Scout Mount
« on: February 08, 2013, 05:00:36 PM »
OK, couldn't find the old posts.  What's the secret to scout scope mounting on a Handi please?

Thanks folks.

Tom
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Handi Scout Mount
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 05:13:03 AM »
See the FAQs, there are several scout mount links, if the barrel is made for a 2-screw Williams WGOS barrel sight it's easy with a Weaver 92a TC base.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 05:45:20 AM »
I mounted mine in the rear sight holes. I used a T/C Contender mount and used the middle two holes. The scope and mount I used is not very heavy so I just used the two existing holes. I did make the mounting holes to take #8 - 32 screws.

Here is a couple of pictures of my 44 Mag with scout scope

Good Shooting and Good Luck
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 06:40:14 AM »
Thank you.  Especially for the pictures.  The FAQ pictures had disappeared.  So basically use a TC contender mount and d/t two new holes.  Maybe shim front of base for barrel taper.  That can be done.

Please post more pictures anyone...

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 02:21:49 PM »
You do not have to drill and tap new holes, you can use the existing #6 holes. I used #8 screws, because I have the means to do so. I have a good drill press and a vertical mill and I bought #8-32 bottom taps. I did not shim mine.  The mount fit on the barrel well with out shims.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 04:11:20 PM »
Here's one I had made up on a .30-06.  I used a Burris mount for the Remington 700 with a Tasco pistol scope, and had the local gunsmith D&T the barrel for the mount.  I should have mounted it another couple of inches forward for that scope as I had to move my head back on the stock to get a complete field of view.  Note the date, I had bought the rifle in 1993.  Sold it like the foolish person I am.... :'(

-Kees-

"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 05:58:43 AM »
When you go to 8-32, do you have to redrill larger, or just enlarge with the bigger tap?

Offline JB White

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 07:21:47 PM »
It's best to chase the hole with the proper numbered bit first. Align everything top dead centered on a drill press and leave the barrel clamped into place. Use the tap in the press (turning by hand) to start the the threads in alignment and switch to a bottom tap. Depending on the taps available to you, you may have to nip the tip off with a diamond cutoff wheel to get a full cut. Always be generous with the cutting oil. You're only going to get one shot at it so take your time and work at your own pace.
I never let anyone tell me how much time it should take. It's done when its done. I've been in the trades since the 70's and know there's no such thing as the proverbial 5 minute job.  ;)

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 02:48:14 PM »
JB

is it appropriate to use an endmill in the drill to bottom the hole?

one could start with the twist, and swap out the appropriate endmill, THEN tap?

I have a few I want to mount sights on, and recently bought a large drill, and will be buying a X/Y table for it... 

I also plan to make up some form of brackets to use to level the table from the floor base.

Offline JB White

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 04:00:43 PM »
Nanuk,

I'm not the one you should be asking, but the end mill will most certainly give you a cleaner hole.  :)  I've been an apprenticed mechanic and commercial carpenter, made journeyman at both and later cross trained as a millwright. Never a machinist by trade and in spite of 35+ years tinkering on guns I still won't dare call myself a gunsmith!
 If you have the means at your disposal then use whats best for you. Most don't and I'm not fully equipped either even though I have a decent home shop. If I need to use endmills and Bridgeport etc, I go to my friends place!
Your sight screws shouldn't bottom out in the holes so there's no need to cut the last thread and a halfs worth. Just so long as you can drill a neat shallow hole without compromising the integrity of the barrel you're fine, no matter what approach you take. Most all gun barrels are much thicker than need be to shoot safely, so there is plenty of buffer zone to D&T so long as you are extremely careful to stay within safe limits. Naturally it depends upon the barrel in-hand to dictate what that zone will be. FWIW, a new barrel liner is thick enough in principle to handle shooting on its own. Not that any of us would try that.
I'm sure ther are others here who are able to give you a much more detailed answer than I would risk trying. :)

Offline Catshooter45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 01:04:02 PM »
An end mill will give you a flat bottomed hole of course.  But do you have one of the right size?  That's usually the question.

Cat

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 05:31:50 PM »
An end mill will give you a flat bottomed hole of course.  But do you have one of the right size?  That's usually the question.

Cat

I'd by buying that at the same time I buy my drill and taps.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 04:41:59 AM »
I used a weaver base into the rear site holes just as previously described.

This is not mine and I cannot remember the members name who owns it, but it was done by a gunsmith IIRC..

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline cudatruck

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 12:10:24 PM »
Hey CW, did you cut and redrill the weaver mount to fit the existing sight holes? or did it come like that? Also if you don't mind sharing, What's that ring?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 02:25:41 PM »
Hey CW, did you cut and redrill the weaver mount to fit the existing sight holes? or did it come like that? Also if you don't mind sharing, What's that ring?

It was a factory base even the barrel diameter was correct... Only thing is its long gone and I do not remember the number...

The ring is what came with my Aimpoint Comp4 scope.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.