Author Topic: Good gun range near the twin cities?  (Read 961 times)

Offline MNzach

• Trade Count: (1)
Good gun range near the twin cities?
« on: April 02, 2013, 07:35:02 AM »
Hi everyone, I moved to the cities about a year ago and haven't had many opportunities to go shooting since then because I don't have a place to shoot. I'd like something within 45 minutes of Bloomington if possible. I do like to do some longer range shooting so places that don't go pas 100 don't hold much appeal. I talked to a guy who mentioned a rainbow sportsmans club or something like that to the west but couldn't find any info. Oh and I'd like to be able to afford ammo after a membership too  ;) 

Thanks!
Zach
Zach

Offline 378

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Good gun range near the twin cities?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 02:32:54 AM »
Horse and Hunt Club in Prior Lake is great.  Offers, all ranges, trap and clay, and even upland bird hunting.

Offline MNzach

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 04:51:33 PM »
Their facilities look fantastic but there is no way I can afford their membership fee. But I have stumbled on to a good resource for finding a good range. http://wheretoshoot.org/index2.cfm I hope this helps someone looking for a good place to shoot.
Zach

Offline Tinehuntah

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 06:59:27 AM »
Another source is the MN Department of Natural Resources.  Here's the link:  http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/shooting_ranges/index.html

Joe
Semper FI........

Offline Uncle Howie

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 08:17:17 PM »
https://www.oakdalegunclub.org/
I was a member 20+ years ago, in college. At that time, it was a great group of folks. I'm sure it still is.
I see there's a waiting list to get in, now. I'd get on that list ASAP. They have public shooting on weekends in the summer, as well as "sight-in" before deer season. You can go check out the facilities, and make sure they fit your needs. Ranges from 25-200 yards.
Club membership requires NRA membership and 18 hours/year of volunteer time. That can be range officer duty, helping with competitions, building/grounds work, or donating other "specialized" work that you can do. Volunteer time kind of "levels the playing field," so that most anyone can afford to join. $185 first year, $85/yr renewal. That gets you access to the ranges pretty much year-round, during daylight hours.
When I was a member, they had trap league, handgun metallic silhouette matches, IPSC, etc. I'm sure they still host all that, plus more.
I really can't say enough good about the club. I took my folks (NOT gun people...) out there for the member picnic. Great time...