Author Topic: Anybody know how to use a case neck reamer?  (Read 464 times)

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
Anybody know how to use a case neck reamer?
« on: February 12, 2013, 12:43:09 PM »
I got one for a Forester case trimmer years ago when I was making 243 cases out of 308s.  Now I can't remember if I ream after I have sized and expanded the neck or after they have been fired. Reaming after running them through the sizing die seems to make more sense to me, but the bullet drops in after I ream. If I resize again it seems like the neck is about the right size then.

I figured I might as well get some advice rather than I wreck my brass.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Anybody know how to use a case neck reamer?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 01:33:50 PM »
I got one for a Forester case trimmer years ago when I was making 243 cases out of 308s.  Now I can't remember if I ream after I have sized and expanded the neck or after they have been fired. Reaming after running them through the sizing die seems to make more sense to me, but the bullet drops in after I ream. If I resize again it seems like the neck is about the right size then.

I figured I might as well get some advice rather than I wreck my brass.

Maybe this will help .  ;)

http://www.forsterproducts.com/client_images/catalog19938/pages/files/Neck_Reamers_NR1000-001.pdf

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
Re: Anybody know how to use a case neck reamer?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 04:50:31 PM »
Thanks Stimpy, good thing I asked, I had about decided to do it the wrong way.

I'm working on getting my Handi flyweight 243 barrel to shoot again. It is horribly inconsistent. One day it will shoot pretty good, the next day the same load couldn't hit a watermellon at 100. Then I got to looking harder at my brass. I have had some of it for years, and others are once fired. So it is time to give it some TLC.