Author Topic: Learned something maybe "GLOCK"  (Read 639 times)

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
Learned something maybe "GLOCK"
« on: February 13, 2013, 01:34:40 AM »
My concern about a Glock is how long the gun , plastic parts in particular will hold up to age and heat. Well I was reading thru. the new Glock magazine and one of the articles was about how a guys garage burnned to the ground. He had a fire rated safe . Rated to 1600 deg. The guns were toast. His Glock was not there but some magazines were on the work bench. FD estimated the temp was 2000 deg + . His mags were not harmed and still work.
 If true and there is no reason to doubt it seems heat is not as big a deal . That said the ones I saw that were split had been loaded when heated . The article did not state it the mags were loaded.
 When I posted the concern about age and heat several defended Glock. I feel it only fair to post things + or - that concern the subject.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Empty Quiver

Re: Learned something maybe "GLOCK"
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 04:14:24 AM »
I would take the story with a grain of salt. 2000 degrees is quite hot certainly hot enough to remove the temper from the springs, so I don't imagine those mags were usable. What kind of shape is a soup can in after a trip through the campfire?

We live in a disposable society. There are few things we own or use today that will be treasured by our great grand kids. Glocks are perfectly good tools. Works of art to be treasured by generations, not so much. But to be honest, how many of our fore fathers guns are there to be treasured today? They were tools they were used and abused and traded for the next best thing to come along.

I don't think I would get to worried about where my Glock will be in 2115, or what quality of artifact it will be. Think of it as a hand saw, use it, treat it well, but when the teeth are worn get another.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 04:27:42 AM »
At work when the reps were courting they dropped 2 off a 360 ft tall building. Tied a string to them and they fired. Then put a full mag in each. cycling and firing fine. One had it's front sight knocked off and a dent on top in front of it. The other must have landed on the plastic, couldn't see any damage from the main hit. Both were fairly scratched up though.
Molon labe

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 10:27:14 AM »
I was a safety officer at Glock matches back in the day . I think the guys name was Chris Edwards who came from Glock to run the matches. He would drag a gun into the range behind his truck. It worked.
 I would guess the mag in the fire was away from the main heat . I was being fair as I work with a varity of plastics and polomers and so far all get brittle with age and heat. I even got a really beat up G17 police trade in just to watch get old . It has a grouve where the front of the slide and bbl lock up. The rest of the bbl where id contacts the slide during movement is wavy . It has seen a bit of shooting , abuse and age.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !