Author Topic: Cast Bullets in a Contender Barrel w/ Muzzle Tammer  (Read 358 times)

Offline Kodiak Ken

• Trade Count: (0)
Cast Bullets in a Contender Barrel w/ Muzzle Tammer
« on: February 15, 2004, 07:11:25 AM »
Hi,

(I posted this in the Thompson Center forum, also.  I hope it's OK to post it two places.)

I'm new here, just happened onto the site while doing a search for 'LBT'.  Great site, wish I would have found it a long time ago.

My question is this:  Can I expect reasonably good results from my 14" 7-30 Waters barrel with muzzle tammer using cast bullets?  

This barrel is a tack driver with several different jacketed bullets but so far my attempts with cast bullets have not been very good.  I am using a LBT 145 grain LFN bullet.   I really haven't put a whole lot of effort into tweaking my loads for this bullet  and before I do I wanted to ask you guys if any of you had had good luck using cast bullets out of  barrel with a muzzle tammer attached.  Going through so of the old posts I read something about problems trying to do this.

Hey, thanks alot for your help!

Ken Gordon
Fairbanks, Alaska

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
Cast Bullets in a Contender Barrel w/ Muzzl
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2004, 08:13:33 AM »
Ken, dont know ifin this will help but, I had my gun smith port my 1895ss, he cut 3 vertical slots on each side of the bbl. I asked him about it shaving lead like my mag-na-ported 44 mag. He said he back bored the bbl a thousants or to to prevent it from shaving cast bullets.

Gun Runner

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2004, 01:13:57 PM »
shoot them out of my guide gun all the time with no trouble worst case you may have to clean the ports out occasionally.
blue lives matter

Offline Orygun Mark

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2004, 05:00:19 PM »
Since I cast my own bullets I don't have any experience with commercial cast bullets. I can shoot 2-3" groups at 100 yds with my 14" 7-30 with the factory muzzle brake. The RCBS 145 and 168 shoot good as does the Lyman 135, 150 and 160. You just have to work with your loads.   Mark

Offline Kodiak Ken

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2004, 10:04:59 PM »
Thanks for the help, guys.  I'll get to work on tweaking my loads and see if can get it shooting better.