Author Topic: reload question  (Read 342 times)

Offline scratchmark

• Trade Count: (90)
  • A Real Regular
reload question
« on: February 16, 2013, 03:31:10 AM »
do you have to use a neck sizing die or is there a waay to do it with a fl sizing die?
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should atleast find ya handi

Offline mcbammer

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: reload question
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 03:50:27 AM »
YOU  can  use  one  or  the  other  . no  need  to  cycle  your  brass  thru  both.It  depends  on your  rifle  chamber  as  which  to use.  I  only neck  size  in my bolt  actions .  and  fl size  in  pumps &  autos.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 04:06:08 AM »
Almost all diesets are designed to resize for the standard jacketed bullet dia. for the caliber. They undersize the expanded case neck (then body on FLS) then the expander ball upsizes the neck ID (on the way out of the die) to give a certain amount of grip around the bullet. This 'works' the brass a lot and shortens case life.
Jacket bullet dia. for your caliber is almost always too small a dia. for cast bullets. Larger dia. expander balls are available to better fit cast bullets.
You can 'neck size' or more properly perhaps, 'partially resize' by backing the FLS die off from the full length position so it only sizes as much of the neck as you need to the base of the bullet you are using. If your load is fairly stiff or more, neck sizing, especially in bottleneck cases, can be problematic. See the recent post about just that.
If neck sizing will work for you, as you can find out with the above method, you may want to consider the Lee Collet Neck Size Die. Many calibers are available and the die alone (rather than the whole set) is available. They are marvelous to get just the right case neck wall tension to grip your projectile of choice, be it jacketed or cast. They also make reloading a snap because there is no case lubing or cleaning same off from sizing.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 04:17:19 AM »
do you have to use a neck sizing die or is there a way to do it with a fl sizing die?

Yes and no , you can use a FL sizing die to Partially size the neck area of a case and it will also size some of the case body while not touching the shoulder area of the cartridge , with this you keep most of the body shape from fireforming yet still bring the neck back into spec for proper bullet retention .

The easiest way is to set your FL die up as normal and them back it out 1 full turn . This will not always give the desired results in some case's , some just need to be FL sized every time .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline scratchmark

• Trade Count: (90)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 04:21:27 AM »
thats kinda what i thought but wanted extra opinions. thanks
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should atleast find ya handi