Author Topic: .243Win Ultra Thumbhole Range Report  (Read 593 times)

Offline terryrudd

• Trade Count: (2)
.243Win Ultra Thumbhole Range Report
« on: February 18, 2013, 06:39:34 AM »
Howdy everyone,

Finally got to shoot my new .243 off the bench this weekend, with a load to work up. Working with 55gr Nosler Ballistic Tip Lead-Frees and Win760 Powder. Federal Brass and CCI Large Rifle Primers.

The barrel has 40rnds of factory ammo since i bought it new in January, and I JB'ed it before the weekend's shooting. Boresnaked dry between each group.

Here's the best group, Load "V". Measured .759" center-center. 48.0gr powder, 2.709 OAL.

I was very happy to go under 1" first time out (also my first reloads, ever!)

I loaded 20 more like this, and once I get the scope adjusted and send a few more downrange, I'm planning on trying a few variations of OAL. I should be able to bring it out of the case quite a bit, touching the lands will not be an option with this bullet. Closing the action with a bullet barely inserted in the neck doesnt show any evidence of touching the throat.

If anyone with more experience has some ideas of what to tweak next, I'm all ears!

Thanks,
Terry

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
Re: .243Win Ultra Thumbhole Range Report
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 02:46:44 PM »
Keep up the good work! Those bullets are awfully hard on coyotes. ;D

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline terryrudd

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 06:06:51 AM »
Thanks Dinny, the gun  has fit exactly what i bought it for so far. Easy to work on and play with, and that .243 is a joy to sit behind for a long session at the range.

The guy at the gun shop when I picked the gun up asked what I had against coyotes. "Most people like to shoot them with something .22 cal, you must really want to kill them extra dead!" Hopefully this spring I'll get a chance to see if its true :)

Take care,
Terry

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 06:11:54 AM »
Hey Terry, .243 with 58 VM Moly's has been our "go to" coyote gun for many years... We do use 1:8 and 1:9 .223's also... But on the upper end we also shoot 7mm-08 with 120 BT's in some situations... So don't feel overgunned at all.
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 07:36:47 AM »
Hey Terry, .243 with 58 VM Moly's has been our "go to" coyote gun for many years...

Mine too! Recently I switched to the Superformance loads without moly.

Thanks, Dinng
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline terryrudd

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 06:13:12 AM »
Those 58gr Hornadys are on my list to try someday. Looks like they have a bit a boat tail/radiused base.

These Noslers are about as flat of a base as you can manufacture, and it seemed that they were a little inconsistent as to how they would pop into the neck as the dies closed. I dont think it's causing any issues, but just got me thinking....

Thanks for the feedback!
Terry

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 06:40:19 AM »
Those 58gr Hornadys are on my list to try someday. Looks like they have a bit a boat tail/radiused base.

These Noslers are about as flat of a base as you can manufacture, and it seemed that they were a little inconsistent as to how they would pop into the neck as the dies closed. I dont think it's causing any issues, but just got me thinking....

Thanks for the feedback!
Terry

Pick up the Hornady concentricity tool.