Author Topic: Short Hornady 45 LC Brass  (Read 457 times)

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
Short Hornady 45 LC Brass
« on: February 28, 2013, 04:42:24 AM »
My 45 LC brass is separated into two groups. Nickle Starline that I load my Ruger/TC loads for my Encore and a mixture of stuff I have bought, traded for or found at the range for Cowboy loads. A couple of weeks ago while putting together some Cowboy loads I went to crimp a round and it didn't feel right. When I looked at it I could tell the Hornady brass was slightly short. I pulled the load and threw the brass away thinking it was a fluke. Today I ran across the same thing with another Hornady brass. This prompted me to go thru all my unloaded brass and I found 8 of the Hornadys in the mix. 6 of them were 15/100 of an inch short. While this doesn't sound like much, a brass that's over a tenth of an inch short won't let me crimp it properly. I canned them and will be on the lookout for the same thing in the future.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: Short Hornady 45 LC Brass
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 05:07:19 AM »
Did the brass start out as Leverevolution ammo?  Most of the Leverevolution brass is shorter to account for the plastic tip.

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 05:10:29 AM »
I found the same thing with some factory new Hornady Cowboy loads. Always thought the short stuff was limited to the FlexTip ammo. There are some here that use the short stuff for other applications so ya might see if somebody can use them, rather than toss them out.

Bill

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 05:33:43 AM »
Have no idea if they were LR ammo before I got them as empty brass that had been fired. I don't mind who would get them but the price of mailing that few brass wouldn't be worth it to the buyer. I hadn't thought about the LR ammo but will be really watching close if I pick up any more.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 05:59:53 AM »
Save them and reserve them for speacialty loads like shot loads, roundball loads or gluelette loads........  Very little of my brass ever gets tossed. I can always find some use for it. I probably have 150 .41 special brass that were cut down from brass with cracked necks....
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 06:39:53 AM »
Yup that's what Hornady has been doing since the FTX/ lever evolution ammo became available.

Personally, I toss it in The scrap bucket.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 06:51:05 AM »
If I had a pile of it whoever wanted it would be welcome to it for just the shipping. For the few I have, they've found their new home in the trash can. I have a pretty good supply of 45 LC brass so any like this that doesn't act right has to go.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 10:59:26 AM »
I take those and any that start to split at the case mouth , trim them down to 1.100"and make 45 Schofield rounds , shoot them in my 45 LC guns , sorta like the 45's awnser to the 38 spl in 357 mag guns .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped