Author Topic: 45-70 Handi - Extractor and Sights Question  (Read 473 times)

Offline flmason

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
45-70 Handi - Extractor and Sights Question
« on: February 21, 2013, 05:33:26 PM »
Hi All,
   My Handi is sitting in the LGS... waiting period and all that... So in the meantime, since I've never seen one in real life, was wondering about the extractor and the sights.

Is the extractor just spring loaded? No way to yank a stuck case out with it?  This gent seems to be having trouble with that in what I believe to be a vintage Shikari. He's jacking them out with the cleaning rod... with poofy Trail Boss loads... but he admits they weren't full length resized.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2BqXo-kejE

What are the factory iron sights like? Reasonably adjustable or should I be looking for maybe a flip up ladder sight replacement, or something similar to a mauser or mosin tangent sight?

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
Re: 45-70 Handi - Extractor and Sights Question
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 03:23:10 AM »
The extractor operates off a cam, pushing the case out a bit, not ejecting it.  The problem with the earlier ejectors is that the case could stick and the spring was not strong enough to free it.  There is all kinds of info on both in the FAQs.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline flmason

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 45-70 Handi - Extractor and Sights Question
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 09:20:51 AM »
The extractor operates off a cam, pushing the case out a bit, not ejecting it.  The problem with the earlier ejectors is that the case could stick and the spring was not strong enough to free it.  There is all kinds of info on both in the FAQs.

Pete

Thanks for the info. That's good news.

I'd like to have a choice between positive ejection and positive extraction for sure. Just to have the fastest possible second shot in the field, but not toss the round out at the bench.

But I'll take positive cam driven extraction over a spring only arrangement for sure. (Bought a M48 for same basic reason... controlled feed vrs. push feed and all that.)  I'll just have to train on the extra motion a little. But since it's a cam, not a spring... at least I can depend on it. 

Alls I can say is, the days of "delivered right to you door" for firearms must've been a better time in some ways. Or at the very least cash and carry.