Author Topic: Equipment  (Read 718 times)

Offline CWT

• Trade Count: (0)
Equipment
« on: February 21, 2013, 04:54:55 AM »
Starting to get into pistols and looking to get a progressive loader. The old RCBS just ain't going to cut it. I am thinking about Dillion or Hornady. What are you alls thoughts?

Offline SHOOTALL

Re: Equipment
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 04:57:59 AM »
I have a Hornady a friend has the Dillion . If I had not got mine at a going out of business for 50 bucks I would have gotten the Dillion and still may.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline CWT

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 05:00:31 AM »
What is the advantage of the Dillion over the Hornady? Is it just faster or are there other factors?

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 05:05:20 AM »
sets up easier when changing rounds and stays in adjustment better from what I see. I have had things break on the hornady . The Dillion seems to not break .

Offline CWT

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 05:09:47 AM »
Good to know. Thanks

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 05:13:00 AM »
Get the Dillon.  If you only plan on reloading pistol calibers, get the Square Deal, otherwise get the 550.  I have both. 

The Square Deal uses specialized dies (available from Dillon), but it auto indexes (rotates) with each pull of the handle, the 550 doesn't, you have to index it by hand, but it's a natural motion done with the left thumb.  You can get all sorts of add on "gizmo's" to increase the speed of reloading for the Dillons.   I haven't used mine in a while (twenty years), since I have been shooting military ammo, which was so cheap, it didn't pay to reload, and my hunting ammo, is done on a single stage press, because, I only use one or two rounds per season.  Because of the current ammo situation, I called Dillon up and asked them if they could clean and tune it up, the answer was yes (for a minimal fee).  Waiting to get it back, then I plan on reloading 223 on the 550.

Dillons warranty is just great, it's a: "you break it they fix it" type warranty.  Sometimes the parts are  free, customer support is also great.  I'm not knocking the Hornady, as I never had one, just very happy with my Dillon presses.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 05:14:30 AM »
I don't knock the Hornady either if cost is a factor it works.

Offline CWT

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 05:56:32 AM »
All I have ever had is an RCBS single stage to load all my rifle cartridges and a few 357. I really don't know much about the progressive loaders ( other than shot shells) but would you even consider a RCBS or Redding? Or are they going to be too slow? I have never seen any of them in action so I just don't know.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 08:17:10 AM »
Go on youtube and check the videos showing how it's done.  Here check this video out, it will give you an idea on how it's done.  You can search the web for other video's, I just picked this because it was a short one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFWC13m6_8I
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline CWT

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 01:47:40 PM »
Thanks. Should have done that first.

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 01:59:21 PM »
If your RCBS is a Rockchucker, they make a conversion kit to switch it to progressive - called the Piggyback.  Might be worth looking at.  I've never used one so I can't say anything about it good or bad, I just know it exists.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 06:25:22 PM »
Not sure about the new Piggybacks, I had an original many years ago. Biggest pain in the butt to use. Fiddle fussed with it for about 6 months, got so mad, boxed it up and sold it at a gun show. My progressive press now is a 550. Very happy with it. Couple of friends of mine have the Hornady, and from they say, and what I've seen, don't think you could go wrong with that one either. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 12:14:54 AM »
Dillon and hornady are the way to go if you want to go progressive. Ive ran some of the differnt rcbs progressives and was never impressed. Ive got a 550 and three hornady lnls. bought them mostly because they were a bit cheaper and i got a 1000 bullets with them free and that made them a heck of a deal. Looking back now that the bullets are all gone i wish i would have spent a bit more and gotten 650s. I ran enough 650s to know that there a bit more reliable. they are made right out of the box to run a case feeder. the advantage is there more reliable with a case feeder. the hornady is more of an add on deal. Disadvantage is without a case feeder the 650 is a bit awkward so if you dont want to run a case feeder it or a 550 is probably a better way to go.
blue lives matter

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 10:49:03 PM »
I  load with 3 presses a RCBS-RC lg rifle hunting loads, a Dillon SDB for pistol, and a Dillon 550 for 260 and down, you can't beat the SDB for pistol I bought it used about 15 years ago on ebay $60 W/3 sets of dies that said the only draw back is being forced to use Dillon dies (expensive), the 550 is a great all around press and again I got this one used off CL for less then 2 buck W/3 extra powder measures, if I was younger and needed the speed I might have sold off the 2 Dillons and bought a 650 but being retired I have lots of time.
I do have a good friend with a Hornady LnL he could not resists the 1000 bullets, for the first year or so it was the best thing since slice bread, he finely admitted he always had to adjust something, and wish he would have bought a 650 Dillon.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline rmagill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 08:16:13 AM »
I have two 550's and it's pretty hard to beat them. With a couple extra toolheads changing calibers is quick and easy. Spend more money and get the quick change kits and it's even better. I rarely use the Rockchucker just cause I don't like changing dies all the time.