Author Topic: Who makes custom grips?  (Read 662 times)

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
Who makes custom grips?
« on: February 05, 2013, 04:59:25 AM »
A friend has a Ruger Blackhawk .44 special which has had its grip frame modified into a sort of, but not exactly "bisley" style. I fitted it with walnut grips at the time but now he's wanting to dress it up some with exotic grips. So the question is "who makes good custom grips of antler or ivory or something cool like that"?
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Who makes custom grips?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 09:02:18 AM »
I do not know of any who will make grips for a frame that has been altered and I don't know anyone who will accept a gun as they are not FFL.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 09:32:22 AM »
There are lots of folks who make custom grips for Blackhawks.   Any that make them to the customers grip frame could do these near as easily as to a standard frame.   Gent I had do most of mine I always sent the grip frames to for a perfect fit, but he is long retired, maybe passed on by now.

Simply do a search, find those that either "require" the grip frame or will build from one, if they want your business remove the frame from the revolver and send it to them.
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 09:34:22 AM »
Contact the folks at the link provided.  They make their stocks from raw product, and offer hand fitting.  A guy I used to work with sent them the grip frame from an old Colt S/A, and they made a beautiful bone stock for him.  I have used them in the past for quality raw material for making stag grips for my 1911's.
http://www.elenhunting.com/

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 09:59:44 AM »
I've never owned custom grips except those I've built for myself, but I guess I always thought "custom" naturally meant custom built and fitted to the gun. A little online shopping shows that is not the case at all. Guess it's like most "custom gunsmiths" who are really just part swappers, if it isn't "bolt-on" they don't do it. So far I've found "Outlaw Grips" to be one source of "real" custom grips but I'm still searching so any tips would be welcome.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline crash87

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 01:02:24 PM »
Give this a try, just a little more $$friendly.
http://www.outlawgrips.com/index.htm
CRASH87

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 11:38:38 AM »
Thanks to all who have replied, my friend has sent his grip frame off to "Outlaw Grips". I don't know just what he ordered but am looking forward to seeing them.