Author Topic: Scope mounting, on a 45-70 Handi  (Read 872 times)

Offline timbertoes

• Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.texoma.net/~goonair
Scope mounting, on a 45-70 Handi
« on: February 17, 2004, 02:51:10 PM »
Please excuse my general ignorance, have only ever mounted a few scopes in my life :)  not all of them good experiences LOL

What I have to mount is a good old El Paso Weaver K4. currently being rebuilt i might add :)

On this Handi rifle, I see three holes in the barrel/chamber area, with screws inserted.

Are these the tapped holes for a mount system ?

If so, what are the options for mounting?

I have seen pics of Handi's that the owenr has used  a one piece steel plate, I assume it is dovetailed for rings. I understand that type overhangs over the barrel towards the front. Hmmmm.

Is there a 2 piece setup available, upon which see-thru rings may attach.

I have gone through every page of my Natchez catalog, and I dont see a direct, pictured/illustrated setup for NEF.
IOW, No warm fuzzy feelings  LOL

thanks for any advice you can share.

.....Bryan

Offline charlie45

mounting scope on a handi
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 03:08:09 PM »
timbertoes:
weaver makes a base for the handi, #82 i believe. most people clean barrel & scope base and use epoxy @ screws to attach. weaver also has rings to fit this base...

good luck :grin:
if its worth doing, finish it!

Offline timbertoes

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 03:12:06 PM »
thanks for the part number.

Is this the setup where it overhangs? I saw that picture where epoxy was at the front of it. If at possible I would like to avoid that, but I get the funny feeling that maybe our only choice  :?

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 05:56:39 AM »
I think I would go to the H&R site and order the scope base from them, It fits the holes correctly and also includes the hammer extension, save you some trouble in the long run, I also understand the price is right. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 05:59:27 AM »
I think I would go to the H&R site and order the scope base from them, It fits the holes correctly and also includes the hammer extension, save you some trouble in the long run, I also understand the price is right. 8)
 Oh by the way they all overhang look for whitedogones post of how to bed your scope.  :grin:
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline JPH45

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 12:27:41 PM »
I have never used any kind of Loctite or epoxy on my scope mount screws and would not reccomend it, unless you have absolutely no intention of ever removing the mount rail, and I mean NO intentions. It woud take heating the screw area of the barrel to remove  screws of this size that have been secured woth Loctite or epoxy.

Be sure the threaded holes are cleaned with something like Gun Scrubber (a Birchwood Casey product) and are completely dried. Use an areosol can of air from the parts store to "blow dry" them. Be sure the screws  are tight. I always tighten the 2 outer screws then the middle, bringing them to tightness in "steps", snugging them, then tightening them.

Hope this helps, JP
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline timbertoes

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2004, 12:30:22 PM »
Quote from: Badnews Bob

Why thank you, Badnews...I guess I was lot more ignorant than I thought..... buy it from NEF  :eek:

thanks a LOT fellas.   :D

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2004, 12:59:50 PM »
JPH45 is right about the loctite there are different leveles of it make sure to read the directions or you may have big trouble getting it off. :-)
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2004, 01:26:07 PM »
timbertoes,
  Someone had passed this, method of setting up a scope, to me, and it works well, I thought you might want to try it. Once you get your scope base mounted, and are ready to set the scope on, try setting it where you feel comfortable with it, then while the scope rings are still a bit loose, try closing your eyes, and bring the gun up to where it feels comfortable, then open your eyes, and see if the scope is in the correct position. You may have to do this a few times to get the eye relief set right for you. This works out better than having to adjust your hold on the rifle, to accomidate the scope. Good luck with it!
Don