Author Topic: Shooting sticks  (Read 1056 times)

Offline lurcher

• Trade Count: (0)
Shooting sticks
« on: January 17, 2004, 08:35:38 PM »
Was thinking about getting some shooting sticks (simple field bipod), fold up ones which extend to 36 inches. What do you guys think of em' for deer hunting?

Looked at several brands including prong horn (fibre glass and heavyish at around 12 oz in weight).

Underwood, alloy and only 5oz in weight and the stoneypoint steady stix, also alloy and round 5 oz in weight,

Can any one make any suggestions?

Cheers

Lurcher
New Zealand

Offline rpseven

• Avid Poster
Shooting sticks
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2004, 05:08:21 AM »
Stoney Point makes two types of shooting sticks the telescoping kind and the folding kind I have the telescopeing  kind. They both work good. I don't hunt much on the ground but when I do I use the telescopeing one I have. I was considering getting the other type because they fold up to be more compact and they are much lighter. Hope this helps. Good shooting

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
Shooting sticks
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2004, 08:21:37 AM »
I too use the Stoney Pt. telescoping sticks.  They work well.  I have their other sticks also  But I think they are too short for most of my applications.
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Shooting sticks
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2004, 01:03:20 PM »
I have the Stoney Point Folding Steady Stix. Work pretty well if you are sitting. Not so good from other positions.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline missed_shot

• Avid Poster
Shooting sticks
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2004, 08:08:15 AM »
I USE THE STONY POINT safari sticks. Long enough to be used if standing and very light weight. Used it for 2 deer this season. The design enables you to swing the gun. If you are sitting, use them as if they were a sapling for support. One of the best products in my opinion. Get the carrying case for easy carrying.
DONUTS - IS THERE ANYTHING THEY CAN'T DO ??- HOMER SIMPSON

Offline 209x50

Shooting sticks
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2004, 03:23:12 PM »
Easy to make shooting sticks..chech out the Precision Rifle website and look for the make your own shooting sticks headline...used them this year..very cheap and handy....make  a half dozen and leave them everywhere you hunt.

Offline whitecloud

Shooting sticks
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2004, 12:06:54 PM »
I have three that I made,well sort of.I was filmimg a waterfall in subzero weather a couple of years ago.My tripod got so cold the high tech plastic broke at the head and down went the camara.Any way,I ground all the broken debris off and they work just fine when sitting.They are telescopic and adjust from 12 to 36 " weigh around 6 oz.fit in pants pocket great!!

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Shooting sticks
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2004, 12:35:13 AM »
Varmint Al has directions to make a pretty neat bipod at his website.  Check it out...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline fast*eddie

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Shooting sticks
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2004, 02:05:08 PM »
I made a set of Varmint Al's bi-fur-pod about 3 years ago. I can use them as shooting sticks or have the ends pointing away from each other and have a mono-pod . I use a hinge pin and drill extra holes for the mono-pod. It works great with the heavy barrel 223 HandiRifle. Something else I have used is a collapsable golf ball retriever ($12 @ WalMart). It extends and the barrel and forearm will slip through the large plastic ring. It's not as steady as shooting sticks.  8)
Semper Fi !

Offline lilabner

• A Real Regular
Shooting sticks
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2004, 02:19:51 PM »
I bought the latest version Stony Point stix. I considered a bipod but think the sticks are better because they are much lighter, set up much quicker and you can swing the rifle through a good sized arc without moving the stix. I've read that the buffalo hunters used shooting sticks because they found the most efficient method was to stay off at long range from the herd and pick off animals on the edges. The buffalo didn't know where the danger was so they milled around until the hunters finished the herd off or ran out of ammo. My sticks are 39 inches long. I adjusted the pivot point to fit me for kneeling or sitting.You spread them wider for a lower position or bring them closer together for more height.