Author Topic: Gotta love those cast bullets  (Read 1574 times)

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Gotta love those cast bullets
« on: December 13, 2012, 02:05:01 AM »

Like many that cast, for the first 30 or so years I was hesitant about hunting with cast bullets, I live in SWPA and we have a very high White tail Deer population. Two years ago I decided too take the cast bullet plunge. I shot a small rack 7 point, Last year I took a Small 9 point. Last Saturday I took a very large 9 point that is now at the Taxidermist. All three of these Deer were taken with one shot in the 40 to 60 yard range, with a Marlin 336 - 3030 with a Lyman 170 Grain cast from Wheel weights bullet, pushed with IMR 3031. If you like the high price fancy factory bullets great, but I am sold on cast for White tail.

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
Re: Gotta love those cast bullets
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 03:10:59 AM »
I have found that for HUNTING, that cast bullets are entirely adequate. For long range/ high speed I need an A-max or V-max maybe, varmint hunting OK, but at ranges of up to 150 yards where the bulk of all hunting takes place, cast bullets will do just fine. I use mostly mild loads in straight walled cases and my cost per round is usually less than the cost per bullet alone of most jacketed bullets. I have not taken a deer with a jacketed bullet for many years now. ;) 8)
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 06:12:20 AM »
What county are you in Hornady? Im in Adams just east of Gettysburg.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline hornady

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 08:03:23 AM »
Westmoreland, but I am close enough to Pittsburgh that I am in 2B, Allegheny Co, is shotgun only but over here we can use rifles. I normally don’t get a doe permit, however this summer I have been playing with a 7X57 Mauser and cast bullets. Our extended Doe season runs from Dec 26 to Jan 26. The Mauser has a Lyman peep site with the hunting insert. At 50 yards off hand, I can put all my shots into an 8-inch paper plate, It should work nice on a fat Doe.

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 09:51:55 AM »
There's a lot of development here and plenty of deer. The probable is the wood lots are too small to hunt in due to houses but they sure  do hold the deer. I bought a crossbow and been practicing with it since august so ill be ready next year.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 01:57:02 PM »
  Last month I took 2 whitetails with a 50-70 shooting 450 gr. cast bullets (  LEE I think)   First one was about 70 yards and the hit was thru the heart, The deer kinda looked like it was electricuted ? shuddered for about 2 or 3 seconds and rolled down  the hill.  The other was a perfect broadside double lung hit and the little buck took off like I missed him.  No blood at all for the first 10 -15 yards then small drops every 10 feet. He only went 35-40 yards and slid head first under a fallen tree.  I guess you cant complain about performance like that but with most jacketed bullets I have seen  alot more blood  sign near where the animal was standing but usually if they dont fall over within a couple of steps they go 35 to 60 yards.
  I have only used cast on a couple other deer before so not really expecting DRT on every kill.  I plan on trying cast bullets in a 40 cal. / 410 rifle  soon. 
       Jedman
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 02:57:51 PM »
I shoot cast bullets out of my pistol caliber Handi's but never seem to be in the right place at the right time to take a deer with one. I have no doubt the cast bullets will do the trick if I ever get the chance. :D
I have shot lots of small game and coyotes with my Maxi Handi using cast and the results have always been the same... dead animals. ;)

Spanky

Offline randy_68

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 03:45:10 AM »
Spanky,
  I noticed yo said you shoot cast in your maxi. I was wondering if anyone did and what bullet you would use since these shoot at 2000 fps or faster. I guess a gas check style would be in order for the maxi? Care to share any info on that.
NRA Life Member since 1976

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 02:44:55 PM »
I bought some 200gr. HCGC loads from Reeds for the Maxi. Most of the cast loads are 148gr. wadcutters or 158gr. Keith style in 38 special cases... the wadcutters are great for small game. If I ever get a whitetail in front of it I'm sure the Reeds ammo will do the trick.

Spanky

Offline sharps4590

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 11:40:33 AM »
The last game I killed with jacketed bullets, small game, medium or large, was in the late 1980's.  Once I saw how effective they were I just couldn't bring myself to use anything else.  Shorely been a lot of meat put on our table with round balls and long and heavy for caliber bullets with large meplats.
NRA Patron, 2006
NRA Endowment, 1996
NRA Life, 1988
NAHC Life, 1985
There is no right way to do a wrong thing

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 05:18:01 AM »
I just really like the idea of a round that is basically home rolled. I've been using the cast bullets for years because I'm a cheapo and casting is fun on top of that.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline theratdog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 07:59:58 PM »
hornady are you using gas checks on your bullet's was thinking of loading up my 30-30 with lead cast bullet's :D

Offline hornady

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 04:54:13 AM »
Yes I do use gas checks with my Lyman 170 grain cast bullets. I am using W/W as my alloy with a very small amount of solder. A lot of books call for a harder alloy, up around lyno, this being a hunting load I wanted some expansion. Your best bet would be to try it both ways. Your rifle and load will tell you what it likes, my Marlin 336 shoots nice groups at 100 yards with my alloy and load, but it did take some playing around with both too get were I wanted it to be.

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 05:12:03 AM »
Yes I do use gas checks with my Lyman 170 grain cast bullets. I am using W/W as my alloy with a very small amount of solder. A lot of books call for a harder alloy, up around lyno, this being a hunting load I wanted some expansion. Your best bet would be to try it both ways. Your rifle and load will tell you what it likes, my Marlin 336 shoots nice groups at 100 yards with my alloy and load, but it did take some playing around with both too get were I wanted it to be.

Did you know you can make a soft point?  Hard on the outside, softer than a cow pattie at the front.
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline hornady

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 07:54:18 AM »
Some time back, I read an article on making soft nose cast bullets. I never got into it, The alloy I am using has worked real well on the last three Deer I have taken with it. I wanted to try this same alloy in a 7X57 Mauser load this year but did not get a chance too, maybe next year.

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 11:27:06 AM »
Some time back, I read an article on making soft nose cast bullets. I never got into it, The alloy I am using has worked real well on the last three Deer I have taken with it. I wanted to try this same alloy in a 7X57 Mauser load this year but did not get a chance too, maybe next year.

I mentioned it because you mentioned expansion.  The LBT soft point mold does exactly as his book says.  There is little or no accuracy loss making a 2-pc bullet.  I don't know about the method the article suggests.  Later. 
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.