Author Topic: Lyman Targetspot  (Read 562 times)

Offline 2Tonkas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • We fight not for glory, nor for riches, nor for ho
Lyman Targetspot
« on: March 01, 2013, 01:26:14 PM »
A co-worker showed up today with a Lyman Targetspot 10X, in the wooden box, serial # is less than 4000.
It's a beautiful antique, crosshairs are intact.
I guess I'm looking for any details about when they were made, and what type of mount it attaches to (it looks like it clamps on a dovetail of some kid).
Thanks, in advance!

Dennis
We fight not for glory, nor for riches, nor for honour, but only and alone for Freedom,
which no good man lays down but with his life. --Declaration of Arbroath, Scotland, 1320

Offline 2Tonkas

Re: Lyman Targetspot
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 01:27:10 PM »
*of some kind.
We fight not for glory, nor for riches, nor for honour, but only and alone for Freedom,
which no good man lays down but with his life. --Declaration of Arbroath, Scotland, 1320

Offline jeff

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 08:25:40 PM »
Unertl, Lyman and Fecker all used the same type of base for mounting.  The base was/is typically attached  to the barrel instead of the receiver.  Bases were made in different heights, short, medium, etc.  If I recall correctly there were different heights available.  Additionally, the front base was shorter in length than the rear base.  I know of only one source of supply today, CPA in Pa.  http://singleshotrifles.com/sights.html

Basics on mounting the scope.  You need to be careful here.  7.2" ctc between the front and rear base is critical.

This was copied from a post on the assra.com site.

TELESCOPIC SIGHTS
      Telescopic sights may be categorized as "Outside Adjustable" and "Internally Adjustable."
      Outside adjustable telescopic sights include Lyman Targetspot and Super Targetspot, Unertl, Litschert, Fecker and Davis brands. These have adjustments built into the mounts that are (mostly) click adjustable and clearly readable so that settings may be recorded. They have adjustments on the rear for focusing the crosshairs, and on the front (Fecker in the center) for eliminating parallax. It is entirely practical to move these sights from rifle to rifle, re-setting the sights each time.

These sights attach to "scope blocks" on the rifle barrel, which are most often 7.2 inches on center.

The adjusting knobs are marked in 25 divisions, and there is a click between each division, so there are 50 clicks per revolution of the knob. Each click moves the telescope one-half of one thousandth of an inch, .0005". Divide 3600 inches in 100 yards by 7.2 inches center distance between scope blocks and you get 500. Then multiply 500 by .0005" per click and you get .250" or a quarter inch or about a quarter minute of angle shift in bullet impact per click.

Offline 2Tonkas

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 08:46:53 AM »
Thanks, Jeff. That's good info to have.

Offline jeff

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 12:48:11 PM »
Tonka

Looking back to your original post I see that you were curious about the age of the scope.  Your scope was probably made in the mid-40's.  The production began in 1937 and ended in 1978.  The lenses were supplied to Lyman  by Bausch & Lomb up until 1945 when that agreement was terminated by B&L.

I had the same question about one of my STS (Super Target Spots)  it's serial # was in the 4800 range.  When I spoke with Gil Parsons (Parsons Scope Service) he indicated that it was made around 1947.  So who was Gil?  Gil worked for Lyman and was very involved with building and maintaining the scopes.  When Lyman ceased production of that line, Gil acquired the tooling and parts inventory for the Target spot line.  Gil built some new Target Spots after Lyman ceased production and did complete restorations.  J believe Gil died in 2010 and now his son runs the business.

The old scopes are really something to behold, particularly if they are mounted on a vintage rifle.