Author Topic: cold casting!!!!  (Read 1010 times)

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
cold casting!!!!
« on: January 27, 2004, 05:33:26 AM »
I have the itch to cast up some bullets but old ma nature ain't cooperating! It's been in the 20's here and now there is snow on the ground!!!??? I live in a row home(town house) and don't have a garage.
I did a lot of casting under the back porch before I put the deck up!
   AAAHHH WELL, spring'll be here soon I hope.  jh :-D

Offline Good time Charlie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
cold casting
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2004, 03:00:22 AM »
I did some casting out on the porch the other day. It was a might to cold for such doins. After I got the balls in the house and weighted them about half went in the pile to go back in the pot.
                                          Charlie

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
cold casting!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2004, 11:18:32 AM »
-2 f here yesterday and i was out in the unheated pole barn casting up a storm. I cast in the winter so i can shoot in the summer so i cant let the cold bother me. If it gets to bad or im in for an all day session i fire the salamander up it keeps it about 30 in there. Hell i can take my jacket off then.
blue lives matter

• Avid Poster
cold cast
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2004, 02:24:38 PM »
I ain't never been no where it was -2. I ain't going no where it is -2.
                                  CHARLIE

Offline Selmer

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
cold casting!!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2004, 05:21:44 AM »
It was -19 degrees F this morning here in N. Iowa, my parents in South Dakota were at -32, and those are not windchill figures.  That cold weather must be the secret to Lloyd's great cast bullets. Speaking of such things, I could use some more of those 370 gr. Applegates in .452, they get along real well with my .454 Casull and a nice charge of Unique.
Selmer
"Next to the glory of God, music deserves the highest praise"-Martin Luther
Any homo sapien with the proper chromosomes can be labeled a father, but it takes a man to be called "Daddy"-unknown

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
cold casting!!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2004, 07:06:31 AM »
Selmer..... You may have something there. I'm finding that I cast much better bullets when I cast at temps air below freezing. My summer cast seem to be about 30% rejects while my winter casts run closer to 5%.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline Selmer

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
cold casting!!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2004, 08:12:54 AM »
I'd like to point out that I don't cast my own bullets, but I've made some trades with Lloyd Smale for some of his cast bullets, and I've only found one that my gun refuses to shoot, but I haven't given up on it yet.  I've used probably a dozen different weights and styles of his, all of them have given sub-inch accuracy at 50 yds. for me with the right load.
Selmer
"Next to the glory of God, music deserves the highest praise"-Martin Luther
Any homo sapien with the proper chromosomes can be labeled a father, but it takes a man to be called "Daddy"-unknown

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
cold casting!!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2004, 02:40:42 PM »
Dakota shooter... Could it be that you aren't as picky when it's that durn cold outside? :)
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
cold casting!!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2004, 04:09:26 PM »
negative 28 degrees here this morning.  dont know what the wind chill was.    dude got out of his truck at the gas station and tipped over dead!   now i have lived in cold weather a long time, but i never saw it have that effect on someone before!    
    a couple of years ago, we had over a month and a half of weather that was -15 degrees or colder.   THAT wears on anyone.

Offline dangerranger

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
cold casting!!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2004, 07:32:58 PM »
When I hear its that cold I think theres no way Id be working there.but then I remember that Ive been out working when its 119 in the shade and have seen it go over 123. I guess its all perspective. here its 65 deg and was in the mid 70s today.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
cold casting!!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2004, 10:18:16 PM »
selmer i hate to here that. When i go out and the best i can do is 2 inch at 25 i like to blame the bullets. Now what do i have for an excuse! Only problem with the applegate mold is that it was a borrowed mold that i dont allways have access to it. When i talk to my buddy ill see if i can get it back for a while and cast you up some that bullet never was a ball of fire in my .45s so i didnt stock pile many.
Quote from: Selmer
I'd like to point out that I don't cast my own bullets, but I've made some trades with Lloyd Smale for some of his cast bullets, and I've only found one that my gun refuses to shoot, but I haven't given up on it yet.  I've used probably a dozen different weights and styles of his, all of them have given sub-inch accuracy at 50 yds. for me with the right load.
Selmer
blue lives matter

Offline cukrus

cold casting!!!!
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2004, 08:17:21 AM »
When too cold outside I'll put a sheet of plywood over the stove area and cast under the Vent Hood.   Kitty litter on the melt keeps the smoke down.  The kitchen stays warm even with the exhaust fan going.
Can get a lot of casting done and clean up without a trace before the wife gets home.

• Avid Poster
cold casting!!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2004, 08:45:29 AM »
Can get a lot of casting done and clean up without a trace before the wife gets home

You truly believe in living dangerously!

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
cold casting!!!!
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2004, 11:55:52 AM »
Actually I credit better bullet consistency to more consistent mould temps. When casting at temps near freezing I rarely have a mould get too hot and can cast at a much faster pace.
Just another worthless opinion!!